Chicken wont get up, cant hold its head up.


5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I found my little Mille Fleur Booted Bantam down this morning. He wont stand or walk, cant even hold his head up. How can I help this little guy, I don't know much about him, I took him in about a month and a half ago from a good home. He was healty and fine and then bam. I looked him over and found an infected ingrown feather. I removed that and cleaned it up. Could this infection be his problem, or should I be treating him for something else? Please help me save this little guy!!
Welcome to BYC. If he is extremely weak, and that is why he is not standing or holding his head up, then he could have coccidiosis or he may have dehydration. If he is paralyzed, he could be dealing with something more serious such as botulism, poisoning, or Mareks disease. Can he move his legs if you hold him up? Does he free range and have access to an area where he could have eaten a decayed animal or fish carcass, or decayed vegetation as in a compost bed? Moldy feed poison from chemicals or lead could be causes. Mareks usually
presents with leg or wing weakness on one or both sides, and can involve the neck.
Coccidiosis signs are lethargy, weakness, lying down or standing puffed up, poor appetite, diarrhea, and ruffled feathers. Treatment is Corid or Amprollium for 5-7 days.
I would try giving him electrolytes in water (Pedialyte or Gatorade will work.) You will need to carefully feed him with a dropper.
He is not paralyzed, when i rub his feet he moves his legs a little, he has even flapped his wings a few times, His comb is purple on the end. He is taking water with a dropper, I am feeding him electrolytes. His poop is very green and white, looks ok as far as being solid.
If you think he could possibly have cocci, then I would start treatment. Green poop is a sign of not eating enough. Did he have a Mareks vaccine?
I do not know, he came from a home a good home. Previous owner could no longer have roos in her town, I assume he was vaccinated, but I do not know, I have been giving him some antibiotics, electrolytes, and some asprin. Going to get the toxin stuff today, He seems to have improved but only a little over night, he was eager to get the electrolytes or seemed to be anyways.Thanks for your help.
Could he have been kept from getting food and enough water, since he is new in the flock? I would try to get some Corid today, while giving him the electrolytes beforehand, and treat him for coccidiosis, since there is nothing to lose. You may need to put some on his food to moisten it, and if you get liquid Corid, you can give him a couple of drops undiluted today and tomorrow to get some into him. Corid or amprollium, Ampromed, and Amprol are sold in the cattle sections of feed stores, and only by a vet in Canada. In other countries it may be called y other name brands. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Last edited:
I can't find where I read about the toxin flush stuff so I wont be doing that, I have been giving him Duramycin-10 mixed with water... not too much, and electrolytes, and some asprin in case he is in pain. From what I have been reading it looks like Botulism which is totally possible as my birds all free range. Whats everyone use for Botulism?

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom