Chicken won't get up, fluid from nostrils, mouth breathing, HELP

shellyrose

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
Hi, I have a chook who was fine yesterday, but is now unable to get up, she is under her perch like she fell down, Her breathing is raspy, and she has fluid from her nostrils, and her eyes are half closed. Any ideas what may be up with her? I love this chookie, she is my favorite.
sad.png
sad.png

She is getting worse by the minute. I don't think she will last the day. I am worried for my other chooks, as I have hens sitting on eggs in the pen where she is laying? Any ideas what this could be?

Unfortunately she just passed away.
sad.png
sad.png

Noticed she had a LOT of fluid in he lungs, as it was really bubbling out of her nostrils when I picked up her body. She also seemed to have had a bit of diahreah today as there was a loose stool in the pen where she slept.
Still not sure of the cause. Hope the rest are OK.
sad.png

Sorry for your loss! I would keep a close eye on the flock especially with the broodys because they are more susceptible due to lack of food water and exercise. If you see sneezing, watery eyes, raspy breathing, weakness ect I would treat them with antibiotics asap. My girls didn't drink much when they were sick/broody so I bought watermelon and sprinkled a little bit on that. They ate it with out complaint.

Thanks for the support. Yes, I'm so worried about my broodies too. Will try to get my hands on some antibiotics this afternoon to have on hand. The other hen declined so rapidly though, I didn't have time to do anything! Keeping a very close eye on the rest.
sad.png

I have an Easter egger type frizzle. It sleeps a lot, like most of the day. It also has fluid coming out of the mouth when she breathes. Favors one eye.
I have been using "VetRx" Since 5/26/2014. I have also been using scrambled eggs added to her normal chick feed. I have also have using probiotic supplement in her water. Yesterday she was very alert and chirping, however this morning she went back to how she normally acts as mentioned above. She is currently isolated from her flock.

I also have a Creole Orpington that started showing symptoms yesterday. Looks like she is gasping for air when sleeping. Sleeping more than the rest of the flock. Some fluid coming from the mouth when breathing. I already isolated her as well. I am also using "VetRx" on her and probiotic supplement in her water & scrambled eggs with her normal feed.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what it might be????? Based on what Ive read, it could be a cold, or something worse. Both are chicks. The frizzle is approx. 7 to 8 weeks old, while the creole is about 6 to 7 weeks.
Where can I get antibiotics?????
Jacksonville, FL

Back
Top Bottom