Chicken won't put weight on one leg

it looks to me like she's doing that because she's afraid to put weight on the leg. I don't THINK it's Marek's or anything like that. It appears at this time to be an injury. And, like injuries in people, they can take awhile to heal, and obviously they need some restriction. We do the same, with an injured bird, they can be in a pen where the others can socialize with them through the wire, but the injured bird is still protected by the pen and is restricted in movement. This past summer we had an older hen with what later became apparent was a hip injury, a sprain possibly. It took her six weeks before she was well enough to go out, and even then for another week I put her in a pen at night and only let her out during the day. She did make a full recovery. I made sure to give her lots of attention, a few extra treats or occasionally some scrambled egg or similar special food, just to keep her cheerful. And she did OK. Just keep an eye on yours, make sure you keep looking for unusual or new symptoms.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have her separated but might see if I can find another pen of some sort to keep her with the flock during the day. She seems so lonely but is eating and pooping so I am hopeful she will recover. She is staying in one place mostly in the crate so at least clean up right now is easy! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom