Chicken won't stand after she lays eggs

bullydog

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
Hi, I have a buff brahma bantam that last week layed two eggs and could not stand up after. I brought her in and she got better and could stand after three days and seemed normal. After the fourth day which was this past Sunday she layed one egg, and down she went again. I have been unable to get her up on her feet. Has anyone experienced this before. She was a very good layer before this. I think she is pooped. She eats and drinks ok but does not move around. She is bright eyed also and she is in no pain. She is almost a year old.
Please advise.

Thanks, Pam

Hi, An update on Gertie my hen. She still will not stand up her feet are fine she grips on to my fingers. She eats and drinks and clucks even watches TV. I am at a loss here. I don't know what is going on I have read about diseases on chickens and her symptoms don't match up. I think I will take her to the vet.

I think the vet is probably your best bet - only thing I can think of is that somehow laying an egg is causing her pain and walking afterwards just hurts too much for her to want to do it.

Do you have a poultry vet or just an 'it's a chicken, kill it' vet?

Back
Top Bottom