chicken won't stand up

cjeisnaugle

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

This is a barred rock hen, 18 months old, seems to be normal weight compared to the other hens. She just molted for the first time, losing most of her feathers. They have grown back, but during that time she was the only one of 8 hens that lost practically all of her feathers so she was keeping herself separated from the rest of the flock (maybe they were picking on her). I noticed she would eat and drink a lot when away from the rest of the flock.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

After most of her feathers had grown back, I found her laying in the yard. She will not stand up. Very shaky/wobbly when trying. This happened Tuesday, so today is day 4. I separated her and started giving her vitamins and electrolytes, thinking she was just weak. She appears to be pooping normally and she has laid two eggs since Tuesday, so not egg-bound. No visible injuries. Feet curl around my finger so she still has feeling/reflex in her legs, she just won't straighten them and stand up. also today (day four) she laid an egg and there was some blood on the shell. She laid an egg wednesday as well and that egg was clean.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

four days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

The egg she laid today had some blood on it. First time Ive ever seen that from any of my hens.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Don't know. She molted to an extreme that none of the other hens experienced though.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

drinking water, eating "feather fixer" 18% protein pellets

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

looks normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

separation to a warm dark place, electrolytes in water, VetRx drops in drinking water, poultry nutri-drench dropper a few times by mouth.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Trying to treat on our own. Not a vet near that will look at poultry
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

First off, Welcome to Backyard Chickens, I'm glad you found us but sorry you are having problems with your hen.

The blood on the egg shell shouldn't be a problem. Even my year old hens will occasionally have that happen when they lay a larger than normal egg and a small capillary breaks from stretching.

As for what could be wrong with your hen, it sounds like whatever it is is affecting both legs. Any chance she could have eaten or been exposed to something toxic? Moldy feed? Lawn chemicals?

I'm going to tag some help here. @Wyorp Rock @casportpony @Eggcessive @dawg53. Any ideas that may help this new member?

@cjeisnaugle make sure to check into the New Members thread and introduce yourself. Hopefully we can help you figure out what is happening with your hen.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry that your hen is not well.
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?

Can you feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs - is there any bloat or feeling of fluid?
No lice/mites?
Has she ever been wormed?

I'm not sure what's going on with her. You are doing what you can for her. I would be inclined to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E once a day.
She may be suffering from disease like Marek's. I know @microchick has experience with Marek's. Possible molting was a stressor to bring on symptoms even in a older bird.

She might benefit from being placed in a sling for short periods of time during the day. This will get her upright and she may learn to move her legs more.

Unfortunately true,@Wyorp Rock. I agree that a video or picture would help. Usually with Marek's it affects one leg at a time. I don't think I've ever read of it affecting both at once. The one bird I had with the scissors paralysis lost use of the left leg first then the right. Usually the paralysis progresses in increments, the bird will start knuckling under the toes on one foot and limping, then the leg will become paralyzed and the bird will be dragging it behind them. The other leg follows the same progression.

Stressors can bring out the disease if it is latent in a bird.

Have you added any new birds to your flock in the past weeks or months? Mareks usually affects chickens under a year of age, unless a carrier exposes them later. Of course, an injury , vitamin deficiency, and other possible causes should be ruled out. Do you have a rooster who might have hurt her back? Can she stand momentarily if you lift her? They usually will stand up to lay their eggs. I had a hen a couple of years ago who had been vaccinated and who developed what I now think was vestibular disease, which caused imbalance. She could move her legs and move about in her basket, but if she stood, she toppled over. She recovered 5 weeks later, but I had to feed and water her a few times a day. Let us know how she gets along with the vitamins. Here is a good link about chicken sling chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/page-2

I just saw your new member introduction thread and came to check out to see what's going on with your sick.

Unfortunately I agree that it does sound like you recently got Marek's disease in your flock.

Should this bird or any others die know that you can send the bird to your state lab to get a for sure answer so you don't have to play the guessing game.
It's well worth the money and most estates are fairly cheap.

Unfortunately true,@Wyorp Rock. I agree that a video or picture would help. Usually with Marek's it affects one leg at a time. I don't think I've ever read of it affecting both at once. The one bird I had with the scissors paralysis lost use of the left leg first then the right. Usually the paralysis progresses in increments, the bird will start knuckling under the toes on one foot and limping, then the leg will become paralyzed and the bird will be dragging it behind them. The other leg follows the same progression.

Here are some pictures. Doesn't look like bumblefoot, no mites, vent looks fine. We did add 7 new birds to the flock in August. I tried to add videos I took on my iphone but they must not be an accepted media form - wouldn't work

Attachments

• IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    455.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    771.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    808.2 KB · Views: 8

here are a few videos:

Here are some pictures. Doesn't look like bumblefoot, no mites, vent looks fine. We did add 7 new birds to the flock in August. I tried to add videos I took on my iphone but they must not be an accepted media form - wouldn't work
just uploaded a few videos to youtube and linked them here

Back
Top Bottom