chicken won't stand up

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry that your hen is not well.
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?

Can you feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs - is there any bloat or feeling of fluid?
No lice/mites?
Has she ever been wormed?

I'm not sure what's going on with her. You are doing what you can for her. I would be inclined to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E once a day.
She may be suffering from disease like Marek's. I know @microchick has experience with Marek's. Possible molting was a stressor to bring on symptoms even in a older bird.

She might benefit from being placed in a sling for short periods of time during the day. This will get her upright and she may learn to move her legs more.
So twice now I’ve felt between her legs under her vent and she has passed gas. O’s maybe something she ate? Fungal?

Does her left or ankle or foot seem swollen? I would try to see if that foot could be broken or sprained, but I still worry about this being Mareks. If you take another video try to get it from her front where the legs and feet can be seen.

I worry about that too, @Eggcessive. It could be Marek's. Back injury? Maybe. Has she lost any control of her bowels? But the fact that the bird is otherwise healthy takes it back to Marek's Disease.

@cjeisnaugle I recently published an article about my experiences with Marek's. I always hate to tell people that they may have a problem with it but the good news is that it isn't the end of keeping chickens.

I invite you to read it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

Killer in the Shadows. How My Flock and I Learned to Deal With Marek's Disease​

There is also an excellent more scientific article written by Nambroth.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Let's hope it is an injury and not Marek's. Time will tell. In the meantime, you are doing all you can keeping the bird quiet and comfortable.

Does her left or ankle or foot seem swollen? I would try to see if that foot could be broken or sprained, but I still worry about this being Mareks. If you take another video try to get it from her front where the legs and feet can be seen.
It seems a little swollen - here’s a video of her feet

So twice now I’ve felt between her legs under her vent and she has passed gas.
What's her poop like? Any photos?

I agree, it doesn't look too good. Marek's still comes to mind.

Interesting that feeling under her vent between the legs that she passes gas. I've never had that happen.
Her crop is emptying, no lice/mites. Can you take a fecal float to check for worms and Coccidiosis?
While I don't think either of these things would cause the leg issues, they could be contributors to decline.

Thanks for the video. The swelling might be just positional, since she cannot move her leg. Do you notice how she sits on that left hock? That is another possible sign of Mareks.

Back
Top Bottom