Chicken won't use nest box

Edgars Mom

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
Hello there.. I have a red sexlink pullet that just started to lay but she's ignoring the nest box and laying on the manure board. is there any way I can get her to start using the nest box? I have two others who are going to start laying and I'm worried that they are going to copy her. I don't want poop all over my eggs.

Thank you

Lisa

I don't have fake eggs in the nest box... should I keep some in there? They've kicked some of the straw out so they've explored it. I will look into these fake eggs!

I don't have fake eggs in the nest box... should I keep some in there? They've kicked some of the straw out so they've explored it. I will look into these fake eggs!

Fake eggs show the chicken that the nest spot is safe to use (as they think they're real eggs) but no risk of a fake egg breaking, rotting, etc so they can be left in the nest box indefinitely.

Thank you for your help! I'm going to get some fake eggs and in the meantime we will take the suggestion to put today's egg in the nest box and replace it with tomorrow's and take that one in. Do the eggs have to be the same colour? These ladies lay brown eggs.

My girls are at 14/15 weeks so I started “training” 😂 I just put golf balls in, and mine are all brown layers. Now, idk if this will work....I just know I don’t feel like belly crawling under the coop to get eggs 🤣

Attachments

• B5D23085-6E88-400B-89C5-98019D13F47E.jpeg
    B5D23085-6E88-400B-89C5-98019D13F47E.jpeg
    785.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom