Chicken won't use nesting box??

newchck

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
Hi again, all! One of our chickens is laying in the middle of the run instead of in the nesting box. We are pretty sure it is Big Girl, I saw her hanging out in the nesting box, but then BAM! an egg in the middle of the run shortly later (this is the second time this has happened). This wouldn't be a big deal if we had built our run better,but it is a huge hassle to get eggs out of the run. Any advice on getting her to use the box? I have attached a photo of the box when it was first built, it has straw for bedding and we did have fake eggs in there until they all began to lay. My only other idea is that Putin (hence the name) is bullying her out of the nesting box. My husband said he saw Putin climbing on top of Big Girl when she was in the box yesterday. Thanks so much!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 12
I’ll be watching to see how you solve... I have 3 laying in the rafters... one starting using a box but when I took out all her eggs - rafters. I have tried fake eggs - think that attracted her but now ignoring boxes. Had happen with a girl who is now raising chick and two others - liked laying behind a door but only if there were than more 2 eggs. If I collect the eggs they find a new spot.

I’ll be watching to see how you solve... I have 3 laying in the rafters... one starting using a box but when I took out all her eggs - rafters. I have tried fake eggs - think that attracted her but now ignoring boxes. Had happen with a girl who is now raising chick and two others - liked laying behind a door but only if there were than more 2 eggs. If I collect the eggs they find a new spot.
I am curious how many nesting boxes and chickens you have? This is my first time with this so it is all a learning experience :D

Simple. Put the fakes back in. No reason to take them out as the presence of the fakes tells the chickens "This is a safe place to lay, see the other egg here."
I guess I should clarify, I just took out the fake eggs yesterday thinking maybe Big Girl doesn't like them, they have been in all of the time before that when she was laying out of the nesting box, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom