Chickenlover200's flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenLover200, Apr 6, 2016.

1. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Haha!
    I am thinking of getting straight run silkies, but I don't know if I want to ending up with a bunch of roosters :/

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand! My 15 bantams were straight run, but I was blessed to have a female in every breed, two females in some, and a roo in every breed I wanted a male in. That comes out to 9 pullets and 6 or fewer (I can't tell with a couple) cockerels.

What color would the Silkies be?

~Alex

3. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I looked at some at TSC and they had two Splash (I think) silkies and the rest were white. Not sure what Calico Creek has (where we're looking to get some), but I think I'm going to check local ads first.

4. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Update: 4/12/16

Cupcake was in the nest box two nights ago which is strange for her. She even let me touch her. I wonder if she is broody? She can't be egg bound because she'd be dead by now. In the next nest box were Connie and Andie silkies who were staying warm. On the roost were the Campine, Buttercup, and Cookie. We are pondering special ordering some new silkies. It'd be nice to have some Chickies around.:)

5. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    Broody hens usually will puff up and scream at you and peck you. But if the broody is really tame and likes you she usually just puffs up. She might be on the edge of being broody, you could order Rhodes silkie chicks and she would take care of them if she did go broody, having a broody hen is sooooo much easier for raising chicks.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  6. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I know when my Barred Rocks go broody, they'll hiss at me along with what you said too. I think she is partially going broody or something, but it is hard to tell with her because she usually is a bit of a 'bul!y'.

7. Violetsfeathers

Violetsfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    Is she broody?

8. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    4/18/16

Crow was not broody, maybe she prefers to lay eggs at night? Probably will clean the coops today sometime. My little Campine rooster is always quiet other than some hushed clucking sometimes. Wonder if he doesn't know how to crow :lau

9. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

He sounds like a sweetheart, but what Campine isn't? [​IMG] Is he good to the girls?

~Alex

10. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    He seems to be. My dad is the only one who has seen him do his "rooster business" though :lol: he won't do anything rooish in front of me. Maybe he thinks I still think he's a girl... Or he's gender confused having hen feathers :idunno :lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by