chickens 8 weeks old

Annie19124

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
New to the group. Have pullet chickens 8 weeks old temp inside house is 70 outside temp is 48. Worried how they will be when put into the coop. Do you need to raise the temp up?

Hey there, I would start slowly acclimating them to the outside temperature. Do short periods of supervised time outside. Especially on whatever sunny days you have, start out with like 15 mins then slowly work your way up and hopefully your average day temp will begin to go up as well. As for in the brooder, I would start doing the same thing, don't leave the heat lamp on all day for them in there, leave it off for short periods of time starting at like 30mins to an hour. Slowly increasing that and then once they seem comfortable with that start turning the light off at night too, so they start to get used to cooler Temps for sleeping as well.

They should be fairly feathered at this point which will help them stay warm.

Hope that helps!

Homemade Soy-Free Corn-Free Chicken Feed With Whole Grains​

Garden Betty's homemade whole grain chicken feed just got better. How? By using a new corn-free (and soy-free) formulation that you can easily make yourself. You'll also find sources for new ingredients and nutritional supplements for added vitamins and minerals. Try this high-protein chicken feed recipe for your favorite layers or adjust it accordingly for pullets and baby chicks. I was asking you where you can buy this stuff for chickens to make homemade food that is better for them.

Back
Top Bottom