Chickens Abnormally Quiet and Some Eggs Crushed

Aug 7, 2022
SE indiana
When I went outside to check on my chickens this morning I noticed that they were abnormally quiet. I didn't think to much of it, because the rooster did crow and all of them seemed fine. When I went outside again later to file my rooster's spurs nails (I'm still confused on how to do it, if anyone would like to help) I noticed that a few eggs were destroyed. One was completely flattened it seemed, the other was cracked in half, and one was slightly punctured, but that was it. At least most of the goop (egg and yolk) was still there, I didn't think to check because I always get broken eggs out asap. My nesting box ventilation seemed liked it moved very slightly of at all (because it's not nailed on, it just rests between the lid and the box).

Additionally, my rooster is normally pretty aggressive, and he has been getting better, but today he barely put up any fight when I was filing his nails. There were actually a couple times where he really tried to escape the blanket when I had him wrapped up, but he usually bites me a lot. He didn't bite me at all today. All of my hens were still pretty quiet too.

I looked around the run for any sign of an intruder, but I found nothing. No bent hardware mesh or anything. So do you think something happened last night that caused them to go quiet and loose a few eggs? Or did a few of them eat or accidentally destroy the eggs and they just happened to be quiet today?

Two other things that I would consider is that it was super comfortable in terms of waether today, and usually they make "aerh aerh aerh aerhhh" noises when they see me and are eager to go into the shady woods. Another thing was that I usually grab my eggs once a day before I go to bed, because in the past I've been worried about predators and almost always have egg is broken when I leave them there for more than a day. Yesterday I skipped it and of course and egg was broken, but there is not usually three at once.

What do you think? Thanks.

SORRY I just remembered and IMPORTANT DETAIL: The divider of the nesting box fell over on top of the eggs I think, but I specifically remember thinking that I didn't slot it in too well when I was cleaning the coop about a day before. Is it possible it fell on the eggs and a chicken stepped on it?

It's possible a possum broke in... A chicken or a divider wouldn't puncture an egg but possums do. They break it a bit and lick out the yolk. Possums are really sneaky too so it's hard to find evidence. If you are worried about predators you can always have a trap set

Back
Top Bottom