Chickens acting scared at dusk.

saellis

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 30, 2012
FEMA Region VIII
My Coop
My Coop
I've noticed that my normally friendly Australorp hens act like they're afraid of me when I close up the coop for the night. They all pile into a corner and the most timid bird tries to hide under the others. In the morning they are back to their normal selves. Just wondering if this might be normal behaviour since lots of predators come out at night so naturally they might be more fearful then.

Is this something new, or have they always done this?? If it's something new, then I'd think that they've had a scare of some kind recently, whether you know it or not. Chickens will also react to certain colors or "different" looking clothing - anything change in your "closing up coop attire"?

Are these adult birds?

These are 13 week olds and it seems to be new behaviour unless I just never noticed it before. There is a major street behind our house that sees a lot of Harley traffic. The girls are starting to get used to the noise but a couple times a day there is a bike or a truck that takes them by surprise. No sign of predator activity around the coop.

Just because you don't see any signs of a predator doesn't mean one isn't lurking about when your not there scaring your chickens at night.

Do you have a or know anyone that has a trail camera ?

Good way of seeing what is around all night if anything.

Gives you an idea of what you may need to do to protect your flock.

Do they normally roost (because you mentioned piling)?? If not, you may to encourage them to do so. Roosting generally makes them feel safer, because height = safety. You might also get one of those battery operated stickon lights to use for a week or two inside their coop at night. This may help them feel more secure too, plus if you do have something lurking, it may help as a deterrent. Us humans will rarely see evidence of predators being around at night...at least until it's too late. If your youngins are shut inside a secure housing at night, then that shouldn't be an issue for you though...

Do they normally roost (because you mentioned piling)??
Interesting you should mention roosting. They like to use the roosts in the day but stay off them at night. I've tried setting them on their roosts and they acted like I was trying to kill them so I hope that this is just a phase they will grow out of.

This morning all the girls were eager to see me and seemed like happy normal chickens again. Maybe they're just in a better mood at the start of the day.

Let's see a photo of your set up. Sometimes chickens don't want to roost in the facility you have for them because it is rather low to the ground. Could be mites have invaded. One time I purchased 12 week old birds who had been raised off the ground in a cage much like a rabbit hutch. This trio had never seen a perch in their life and had no idea how to sit on a stick. So I placed a scrap 6 x 6 piece of lumber on the ground to sorta give them the idea of sitting on wood. Since chicken naturally don't want sit on the ground after they reach a certain age they took to sitting on the 6 x 6 pretty fast. To encourage roosting I place other sticks in the corner of the coop-low to the ground. This is why you see many chicken keepers have roosts coming up sorta like a ladder. My three eventually got the idea of perching but it took some time. Less athletic birds might need a ramp to help them get to the roost. I have feeling with little more time your birds will get the idea of roosting.

Here's the roosting setup I have. All the birds will use the lower bar sometimes and only my second-in-the-pecking-order has explored the top bar briefly.

Give them time. As they grow older the instinct to roost will emerge. Remember, in a more natural situation the mother hen will show her chicks how to roost by simply doing so herself. You can add a ramp, although they will have to figure out how to use that, too.

Another thing to consider is the window located behind the roosts. I'd suggest adding hardware cloth to prevent a varmint from reaching inside. Predators can also include feral cats, dogs, not to mention snakes and mice can get through chicken wire. A cold draft might also be causing them to seek a warmer spot.

And it is perfectly normal for very young birds to pile together at night until they learn otherwise. Once they mature this behavior will change to jostling on the roost. Apparently in the world of chickens, roosting rights change on a daily basis. You'll hear all kinds of cursing and wing slapping as they decide who gets to sit where. Usually as they get older, and the pecking order is well established, roosting at night is not so extreme.

Good luck with them!

Could be all that nice clean bedding is keeping them on the floor!

Back
Top Bottom