Chickens allowed in Saline MI

Woohoo! In Augusta the ordinance says we can have 1 livestock or up to 2 with neighbor's approval. Gotta have their approval for 1 anyway. Going to village council tomorrow to try to get a variance to raise a few more since they are for 4H.

Good luck. A few towns in Lenawee Co. where I used to work allow chickens for "hobby purposes incl. but not limited to 4H, FFA, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and personal consumption." You may want to bring that up. Basically meaning you can have a few but not dozens. I knew about that law in Tecumseh, MI but it wasn't until spring when I saw a few "Eggs for sale" signs on houses in town. When I was still working there, DH and I found a house that was on 1.5 acres that backed up to utility land for the phone company and had an easement on one side = no neighbors. We would be able to have chickens and a large garden + small orchard, but I got laid off, so we're back in da nort'.

Thanks. We just visited our neighbors and our of the five yards that our backyard touches we had 2 that weren't home, 2 that said yes and 1 that absolutely refused our request because she doesn't believe chickens belong in town. I'm a little discouraged by that but as far as I'm concerned we are still in the fight. I've read over GAAMP and we basically meet that criteria already so I have Right to Farm as a backup
smile.png

Yup thanks
smile.png
I'm just trying to get a thorough understanding of things so I can at least halfway sound like I know what I'm talking about. It looks as if we may have a chance after all
fl.gif

Quote:
You do not have a "chance." You have a state legislated right:

Beginning June 1, 2000, except as otherwise provided in this section, it is the express legislative intent that this act preempt any local ordinance, regulation, or resolution that purports to extend or revise in any manner the provisions of this act or generally accepted agricultural and management practices developed under this act. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a local unit of government shall not enact, maintain, or enforce an ordinance, regulation, or resolution that conflicts in any manner with this act or generally accepted agricultural and management practices developed under this act.​

Sonoran Silkies is right on the mark. There's nothing chance about it. It's a legislated right.
Some towns will try everything in their power to make the process a long battle in hopes that the person/people will just get frustrated and give up. Other towns who may not have known will say ok you can have the chickens, but we want some restrictions.
You don't have to play along with the restrictions, but sometimes the restrictions are reasonable. There is nothing wrong with going along with that either. It just depends on how far both sides are willing to go.
In my friends case, there were some town officials that were so rude to her, she just ended up fighting back hard, and telling them to stick a sock in it. She knew what her rights were, and had all her ducks in a row ( or in her case chickens lol ).

Bluemoon

Last edited:
Go to Mi.gov .......Looking for something INTERESTING TO READ??? Look up Michigan's - Right To Farm Law, Learn your right to grow your Own!!!.

Learn the things city hall don't want you to know....

Did you know?? There is no law that states the size of a farm. The supreme court of Michigan says that a farm is any place that commercially produces a product useful to

humans... This means if you have a chicken and you sell or try to sell the eggs that that chicken lay's, you are a Farm...

Everyone, Everywhere in Michigan has a right to Farm. This is your state Law but city hall won't tell you about it. I had this Battle and have learned so much about our right to grow, raise and share Any and All thing Beneficial to humans..

Please take the time to look up MICHIGANS<RIGHT TO FARM LAW, Know your rights when that zoning guy shows up and tell you , YOU CAN"T DO THAT >>>

Michigan has the strongest right to farm laws in the U.S.

I gave up my original 4 hens when I moved to Saline last year b/c we weren't sure of zoning, though I looked the laws up at municode.com and couldn't find anything forbidding it. My mother called the city and they said fowl were prohibited. Also, she had neighbors with vicious dogs at the time.

Anyhoo, after I found out I was going to get laid off and have to move back up north, I bought 6 chicks at TSC and brooded them in her kitchen. She liked the chicks so much that she decided she wants some.

A few days ago, I got a call from her. "There's chickens!!! There's a house with chickens!!!" She boldly knocked on the door and spoke with the woman (if you're a member on this forum, the crazy lady was my mom
smile.png
) The city tried to make her get rid of her chickens but she pointed out that there was no laws preventing this and she has her chickens out in plain sight.

Washtenaw County is pretty progressive and more towns there are becoming chicken friendly.

Back
Top Bottom