1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens and a rabbit... no soup jokes!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xanaxnation, Jun 22, 2008.

1. xanaxnation

xanaxnation Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    my son has a rabbit and now that the girls are in their new coop.. i was wondering if it would be safe all around to put the rabbit in there so she can enjoy the ground too? right now she is in a cage thats off the ground and i wonder if shes longing for the freedom the chickens have.. i have 3 6 weeks old hens and the run is 3x3x7 with an attached dog house where they sleep over night.

any input?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*How big is the rabbit and buck or doe???

3. xanaxnation

xanaxnation Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    its a girl and shes about the same size body as the chickens right now.. id guess.... 4lbs? the size of a juvinile cat i guess

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My rabbits will range around our chickens. They pretty much ignore each other.
    A roo may attack a rabbit if he sees it as a threat. Other than that I see no problem
    with it.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine are one big happy family. I have a big New Zealand White rabbit that lives with my chickens, ducks, and quail. The rabbit was over a year old when the first birds arrived and they've done well. Introduce them with supervision and see how it goes.
    This is Rabbit with Woo and Nugget:
    [​IMG]

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I had our chicks at about 5/6 weeks in the rabbit run as their run was not complete and they really needed to get out of my house! LOL they made a bit of noise at first - but the rabbit stayed on one end and the girls on the other. LOL they happily lived that way for about 1.5 weeks till their home was complete.

Louella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by