Chickens and budgie

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Parrots, Canaries, Finches etc.' started by Jurassic Wolf, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jurassic Wolf

Jurassic Wolf Songster

Jun 27, 2018
    NJ
    We have 3 chickens and would like to get a budgie. The chickens are outside and the budgie would be inside. As long as we washed our hands in between, would it be okay to have both?

LaughingDove likes this.
  2. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    Yup should be.

LaughingDove likes this.
  3. Jurassic Wolf

Jurassic Wolf Songster

Jun 27, 2018
    NJ
    k thanks

WolfGirlMagic likes this.
  4. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    Your welcome.
    As far as I know not much can be passed between those two species.
    Only mites and maybe something super nasty like the bird flu. But I doubt you will run into that!

5. Jurassic Wolf

Jurassic Wolf Songster

Jun 27, 2018
    NJ
    okay awesome!

6. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    Just so you know, there are other things passed to parrots, (little budgie is a parrot). Newcastle -- which is in California right now, can be passed to parrots by people from chickens. California is a long way from you, but it is out there. I look at my birds as all one flock. Keep them all safe from outside diseases, it is very difficult to have a permanent quarantine between your birds at home. Just my 2 cents -- I do not let any strangers come over and handle my bird, and I do not take her any place with other birds.

Fur-N-Fowl likes this.
  7. Jurassic Wolf

Jurassic Wolf Songster

Jun 27, 2018
    NJ
    Okay thanks Parront good to know

Parront likes this.
  8. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    We have a pionus parrot and a conure. We wash up after being with chickens and have separate shoes to wear out in their yard that never come indoors. Have never had a problem.

Fluffnut and Parront like this.
  9. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    We have multiple Ringnecks, Conures, Bourkes, Kakarikis etc and we also have chickens, ducks and pheasants!

Like @Parront says, we also treat all our birds as 'one' regardless of the fact the parrots are always kept apart from chickens.

The only exception is we have a large aviary with the Ringnecks in and the Golden Pheasant is in with them.

They're all one big flock I guess.

Just because you have chickens doesn't mean you can't have any other birds or pets. It's just important to be good with hygiene going between them both and making sure you know what diseases can be spread from one to another. Mites are a big one to watch for but can be treated. Make sure to do research into a budgies care etc beforehand.

Plus, Budgies can be rewarding little pets :D

Fluffnut and Parront like this.
  10. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    It is just so easy for birds to get bad diseases. I had a cockatiel many years ago now, that I kept in a huge cage in our yard in Southern CA. 10 months of the year is is perfect for birds outside. I thought it was cute that the small wild sparrows would go between the bars and share the food with my bird, who seemed to like the company. Then one day, my bird was dead in the cage one morning. No warning, but I believe the cockatiel caught something from the wild birds sharing his food. Pet birds are not immune the the things the wild birds carry. Neither are chickens. Outside chickens can get things from wild birds, like the before mentioned bird flu. Sadly, my chickens will have to be in their run unless I am out there, and the run and coop will not give wild birds access. It is just the world we live in, Newcastle disease is in CA, and I am just barely in AZ, one state away. The quarantine zone is a 3 hour drive from me. So, I am a little paranoid.:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: