Chickens and cats

When the chicks were younger (9 weeks?), our older cat would "test" them by stalking and showing them he was boss. The last couple weeks, since they were 15-16 weeks at least, the cat has left them alone I think seeing them as too big to contend with. He is a hoot to watch "protect his deck" though... When the chickens come up to check out the fallen BOSS under the wild bird feeder, they occasionally roam around on the deck. When the indoor/outdoor cat is outside, he'll hop on the deck & roll and get all frisky on the edge of the deck steps. He doesn't want any chickens on HIS deck! Comical to watch
smile.png

I guess Im in the minority when I say my neighbors cats are always after my birds. Just a few weeks ago the door was open when they were in the yard and I found 4 cats in there. A day later I found out why after i went looking for a 3 month old I couldnt find. I found what was left of her in there where the cats were.

Our cat is frightened of the chooks who terrorize her and eat her food. They rush out of the coop and go straight to her dish and eat all of her cat food if we do not feed her before they are released!

Sandie

My neighbor's cat is questionable. So far so good but I don't trust him any farther than I could throw him. I have a 100ft hose that I keep handy and turned on when the chickens are out. I am looking for some sort of large bird to protect them a bit as I don't care much for dogs.

I have about 18 ferral cats on my property. They are my sisters cats (people love to dump cats on us all the time). They have chased and challenged my chickens, but I have a flock of curious chickens who chase back. I guess it would depend on your circumstances. How determined the cat is and how courageous your chickens are. A single chicken could easily be taken down, but a flock defending each other would be problematic for the cat. Cats are usually solitary hunters, my chickens will sound the alarm for a stalking cat.
They then group up and chase the cat off.

CAT: Predator
CHICKEN: Prey

I love cats and love chickens but I wouldn't trust them together, especially if it was a neighbor's outdoor (hunter) cat. The chicken might get off a couple of good pecks, but they're no match for fangs and claws. Also, if a cat breaks the bird's skin with it's claws, the bacteria transferred to the bird is almost always results in a fatal infection.

Have you thought about "Attack Geese" ? Maybe you could raise some babies with your chicken flock so they'd stay with them and guard their "siblings" ?

There's been a stray cat stalking my chickens during the day lately. Everytime I go outside it takes off into the woods. I've set my havaheart trap out at night to no avail. I trapped one about 3 months ago and turned it over to county animal control, it was a mean cat too. My chickens are all over 1 year old.

Thanks for all the great replies, folks. I think if the cats were mine, I would have a better idea of how they'd react, but they all belong to neighbours. I have dogs, but maybe 5 lb poodles don't scare off the cats much? I can't afford to lose even one of my girls as I have only 3, so I guess diligence will be my number one watch-word.

Try scattering a fine line of paprika or cayenne pepper around the roost and run, the cat will get it on it's paws, lick it off and hate the taste. After a while they learn to avoid the area. Another idea - use the garden hose on them full blast and soak them..... One or 2 times and they will stay away.....

Back
Top Bottom