Chickens and Colours

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Warthog, May 22, 2010.

1. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    Just thought I would ask if anyone else has had anything like this.

I have 40 production reds. I use 3 one gallon waterers. One has a green base, one has a blue base (they are the same type) and one a slighly different type has a red base.

I check the waterers several times during the day, clean, top up etc when necessary.

What I am noticing is the waterer with the blue base is always empty first.

I thought maybe it's the position (out of the sun, in the sun, less shade, more shade).

So I have changed the position, with all the waterers over the last week or so, and you've guesssed it, still the blue based one is always emptied first.

My question;

Do chickens recognise and prefer different colours? [​IMG]

Anyone any thoughts?

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Oh, absolutely! Color is super important to chickens. They are attracted to the things they eat by the colors. The color of blood will incite violence, and any bleeding victim can be in mortal danger from the others.

Recently I was experimenting with some feed catchers, trying to find some way to save all the spilled layer feed going to waste. I raided my fabric scraps and sewed up a very colorful, blues, reds, yellows, greens, catcher that hung below their feeder. They were so afraid of it, they wouldn't go near the feeder. I left it in place for three days, and they refused to eat, so I removed it, and sewed another one out of black material. They had no problem with it, and ate normally. I made another one for their second feeder out of white material, and they accepted that one too.

Another time, I sewed an apron (saddle) for one of the girls who was suffering sunburn due to a plucked-naked back and shoulders. It was multi-colored, and sported ruffles over her bare shoulders. I put it on her and put her in the coop, and when she exited the pop hole, the rest of the flock ran screaming in holy terror! They eventually got used to her and her colorful attire, but no one was in danger of starving had they not.

I have a rooster who will attack colorful sneakers. He hates them with a passion. So I can only conclude that color is very significant to chickens. I always knew they saw colors - I just never knew how much impact it had on them.

3. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    Well Wow they are just amazing creatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by