Chickens and Compost

There are diseases in the cat feces that are supposed to thrive in the compost instead of being killed. I would do a google search on composting cat waste. I remember reading the article where the college folks were testing temps and bacteria, but can't promise I will find both it and this thread again in any useful speed.

Yikes! I did not know this! And there is yet another reason why I dont like cats on my property.

Um, you don't feed compost to your chickens, you feed them commercial feed and treat them with kitchen scraps you would put into your compost system if you didn't have chickens.

Dog and cat feces shouldn't be in compost.

Yes, sorry, by "compost" I mean food scraps. I know I can give them my stale bread, grains, etc. But was curious what to ensure they do not have access to so I can let all my neighbors know (who want to feed them) what they CANNOT eat. :)

Well, off the top of my head, the things folks should NOT give to chickens are popcorn (unless it is unsalted), anything with lots of sugar - a cupcake now and then, without frosting is okay but not several at once.

Chickens are omniverous, which means meat scraps are perfectly fine. Most folks don't put meat scraps into compost, anyway, to prevent predators from being lured to it. Perfect to give to chickens!

My next door neighbors toss all their kitchen scraps over the fence to my flock in a specific Treat Spot. I warned them about salted popcorn... And left-over frosted stuff. They even toss their old flower arrangements to the flock, as I have ducks and geese which relish the blossoms and greenery, even if the chickens don't care for them.

Citrus and avocado skins/seeds go into the compost. Some folks believe citrus affects laying. Avocados are high in something poisonous.

That's about it. Mine don't seem to like onions, but many folks don't feed onion skins to their chickens, anyway, for fear of changing egg flavor.

Back
Top Bottom