Chickens and duck not getting along

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I have 3 ducks - 1 of them being a drake. They are just about 16 weeks old. Since they were about 8 weeks old, they've free ranged with my chickens, and everyone has gotten along fine. However, the drake has starting chasing the chickens. Like, full on charge them. My poor chickens are so stressed out. Why do you think the drake is chasing them? Is he being territorial? Trying to mate with them? Is there any way I can make him stop?

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Territorial is my best guess. My drake would do that sometimes. I broke him of it by picking him up everytime he did it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may be territorial, but more likely he is maturing sexually and sees them as objects of his 'affection'. If he starts grabbing and mounting them, remove him from the flock immediately. Drakes have penises - roosters do not. A hens anatomy is not constructed for the insertion of 'objects'. He can injure or perhaps even kill your hens.

4. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Your drake needs more duck hens. I have ducks and his sex drive recently has skyrocketed. You need one drake to every 4-5 or more duck hens. Then he will most likely leave your hens alone.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Your Drake needs other ducks..Yes he is being a male Duck. Young male ducks get silly.
    He will end up killing a hen once he matures.
    Separate him from the Chickens or find him a good home. You could also build a pen for ducks and buy him a friend? He cant go back with the chickens though...

6. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    I just searched for "drake chasing chickens" and found this thread - I'm having the same issue with my drake getting a bit too aggressive with one of the pullets he grew up with. Then I watched my 2 ducks turn on some Barry White and get freaky - I should not have done that... some things you cannot unsee...

Looks like I will have to get a few more females for him to woo, for now he will be separated from the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by