Chickens and ducks behavior changing

ChickenGeek_101

Songster
Dec 7, 2017
So I have a flock of 19 big chickens and 43 chicks...
Almost 3 weeks ago one of my OEG bantam went broody, then 1week ago another one went broody. Last week I moved the chicks out to a broody box in the coop.
Earlier I went out to gather eggs and then found another broody hen. (One of which I got as chicks 7 months ago)

Okay besides all the broodiness, all the chickens and 2 ducks have been acting like they haven't eaten anything they are dropping weight... I'm so worried they are gonna get sick..I'm going to keep them all up the week and give them water with Apple Cider Viniger. I've been giving it to the chicks from day 1.
Also I'm about to get a small flock of bantams from my neighbors, and I got 4 silkies from a friend last night. (Which I am keeping separate)
Any suggestions on what is going on?

Last edited:
Are you bringing in new birds? They can bring in diseases that your current birds haven't become immune to.
The only chickens I've added in the last 2 weeks was the ones I got last night and a moved chicks out. Even before I moved chicks out I noticed a little change, but it was nothing I was concerned about.

Are your birds more active now? How do you know they are dropping weight?

I personally don't recommend using ACV. If you do make sure there's always fresh water available as a choice.

What are you feeding? Make sure your ration is fresh and not moldy, and is appropriate for the birds you are feeding.

Are your birds more active now? How do you know they are dropping weight?

I personally don't recommend using ACV. If you do make sure there's always fresh water available as a choice.

What are you feeding? Make sure your ration is fresh and not moldy, and is appropriate for the birds you are feeding.
Their feed is fresh and I am feeding them scratch and grain, but about to start feeding them layer pellets.
I know they are dropping weight because I hold them daily and can tell when there is a difference...as far as being active they have a bit slower especially the ducks.

Switching them to "All Flock" or other mixed poultry flock feed might be the answer.

I would put the all flock in a free feed feeder all day long (if you have rodent problems then lock it up at night) and let them eat as much of the All Flock as they want.

Use the grain and scratch only as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom