1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and ducks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenfeet, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    I have 15 hens and a roo in the run. We got 5 Pekin Ducks, 2 weeks old. Is it possible to intergrate the ducks in with my chicken, without causing a huge messy. [​IMG]
    If so, what the best way to approach it?

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    You can integrate them, but not until they're older. Two-week-old ducklings would likely get pecked to death.

I had grown ducks and chickens in the same pen, but I won't do it again. They all got along OK, but the ducks will foul every waterer in the pen, every day! So you'll either be changing the water every day, or the chickens will be drinking nasty water.

I had better luck keeping the ducks in their own pen, so I only had to change one waterer a day.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    Thank you for sharing. You made a a very good point! I have them in the brooder now, but my plan was to integrate once they were atleast as big as my hens.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It can be done, but like Kathy said, ducks can muck up water faster than you can blink an eye.

5. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    We brought home 2 3-week pekins the other day and put them with our little docile 12 week BO. Docile- we thought- until she went peck happy on the ducks. No more of that! Everyone separate until they can get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by