chickens and fertilizer

hawk

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
does anyone know what the effects are of chickens free ranging where fertilizer has just been put down? The fertilizer has nitrogen, phosphate, potash, sulfer and a little iron. The granules are fairly good sized, will feed a lawn for 6 to 8 weeks. Any guidelined to keep chickens safe?

I have not done it and I have no experience with it, but I personally would not let them at the lawn while the granules are still there. I have no doubt they will eat those pretty bright colored things and that they are not good for them. May even be fatal if they eat enough. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend free ranging the birds until after a good rain, but I once did it in the past. Wasn't thinking when I let the birds out after putting down fertilizer on the pasture. They didn't seem to eat any. Probably tastes bad. No harm seemed to have come of it.

I definitely would not let them range after putting down any kind of fertilizer that also contains herbicides or pesticides.

thanks for the reply and yes where I live and the type of grass we have here, chickens pooping little piles in the lawn is not what fertilizing a lawn means. Until chickens can poop phosphate, potash and sulfer in the right amounts and spread it around evenly, bluegrass is not getting all the nutrients needs to be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom