Chickens and goats together?

Bobbiw2

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Madison County, Indiana
I currently have two goats living in a stable with an attached run-in on the back. The stable has three stalls (the goats sleep in one). The goats have free run of the stable and run-in area.
I am seriously considering converting two of the stalls into coops for my chickens. I am also pondering using half of the run-in shed for an "indoor" chicken run for bad weather.
Is this a good idea? I know that I will have to make sure that the goats can't get to the chicken feed, but are there any other issues that I should consider?
Does anyone house chickens and goats together, and if so has it been successful or nothing but problems?
Thanks for your time and input.
May you have a blessed day!
Bobbi

We have, and it worked out great. Goats helps protect chickens, and chickens get along well with goats. However, I think we lost one chick to getting stepped on by a goat. There is the food issue, goats eating chicken food and vise versa, but that is the only real problem. Also, make sure small chickens won't drown in goat buckets.

Sounds like an awesome plan!

Best of luck!
smile.png

I do too, have had no problem except chicken poop on a goats back occasionally, my chickens go under a gate or over the top to get in and out, no chicken feed for my goats, although I did have a goat who could jump four feet over the gate, eat the food and jump back, caught him in the act, put up more boards, them goats can jump.

Thanks Gitabooks and Oldhenlikesdogs! I appreciate your input.
My main concern has been the goats getting into the chicken feed. I have read some horror stories about goats dying from overeating the chicken's feed.
I am thinking that some properly placed six foot tall chain link fence may be a solution to the problem.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bobbi

I had my pygmy living with the chickens until we got our other goat. The pygmy did fine and left the chicken feed alone. We had to make changes when Percy came due to the fact that he would get into the feed and its not good for the goats. So yes they can live together just fine as long as you can keep the goats out of the feed.

I, too, think it would go well :) I don't have goats and chickens together at the moment, but I did have a horse and chickens together! The chickens followed the horse around for "fast food" (the bugs that were always near him) and he doubled as a protector. The chickens kept the bugs off him, it's a win-win!
You are right, goats will eat themselves to death! Place the chicken's feed in a place where the goats can't get. Make an area with a door that is only big enough for chickens to get through.
Some people say that the chickens eat horse/goat poo makes the eggs taste bad, but I can tell no difference. They all taste like eggs to me!

My chickens can get into the goat pen, but the goats can't get into the chicken area

they fly over, or go under the door, the only time I have trouble is if I get little goats, they are very good at squeezing through areas.

We have our goat living with our chickens and ducks. They get along great! Only problem is the chickens eat the goat food and the ducks drink all his water and get it all dirty. We are currently building something so the ducks can not access the water. Our Bantam rooster actually prefers to sleep with the goat. He also follows the goat everywhere. It's so cute.

Back
Top Bottom