Chickens and grit

Pics
I havnt used grit because I use construction grade sand in my coop and run...I see the girls eating it sometimes. Should I still give them a separate container of grit??
We too use sand in both coop and run. We originally didn’t offer extra grit... then had a Black Australorp have an impacteted, sour and pendulous crop over the late summer (all 3, back to back). Now, we spread a little extra when the coop seems like it’s sand is getting more fine. Would rather have a little insurance in the crop department. :)

As far as grit, while it's easiest to buy from TSC, etc, you can often get it from a local quarry as well. Here's a nice article on grit and the pdf lists sizes.

Just for price comparison, TSC charged $14 for 25# and Co-op charged $16 for a 50# bag. They also sell 50# bags of oyster shell for like $7.00. Quarries are going to be cheaper than either. Some use a mix of granite, limestone and quartz, but I prefer granite.

I have found that other feed stores sell granite grit at about 75% less than TSC. Might check other feed/farm stores if you have them in your area.

Back
Top Bottom