chickens and guineas in the same brooder..

I also had keets mixed with chicks and they pecked the top part of my chicks beaks off. Lost about 10 chicks before I figured out what was happening....
I don't have guineas anymore and don't plan on getting more, but I personally wouldn't keep them together after that....

I have 20 chicks and 3 guineas. The guinea keets where bigger from the getgo, and have remained so.

I initially had a problem with one keet in particular with it grabbing the toe of a chick and trying to pull it off (I mean violent). About the time when I was going to start doing some culling the issue stopped (about 2 days out of the box). I have notices a couple of chicks with some pretty drastic wounds, that I suspect that the keets inflicted as I have never seen wounds like that in a brood with only chicks (1/2" gash in a 3 oz naked neck, about half way around her neck, looks like you cut her with a razor blade).

Beyond that one of the three keets (week 7) has been picked on worse than any of the other chicks.

I would not do it again for one simple fact, the guineas freak the eff out when you approach the brooder, the chicks in turn do the same. My Keets are training my chicks to be flighty as could be.

Will the chicks overcome it? I don't know. Only time will tell. Hopefully a more experienced soul will speak up in my absence of my wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom