chickens and nasturtiums

Tagyritshell

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2018
Northern California
We're working on creating our chicken's yard, they'll be going out in about a week, that is unless I chicken out and decide it's still too cold for them, lol. We are wanting to possibly put a planter box in there of something they and we would enjoy, and have decided that nasturtiums just might be the ticket. Does anyone know if the chickens would want to eat the nasturtiums? The goal is for them to eat them.

Good says they should not eat the leafs,would put it in there maybe grow one tomato plant.How old are the chicks?

Good says they should not eat the leafs,would put it in there maybe grow one tomato plant.How old are the chicks?
They will be 6 weeks old on Thursday, i would plant the nasturtiums at the end of april, I just read in an article on here that green tomatoes are deadly to chickens so I would be concerned about that

my chickens don't eat my nasturtiums, but they do eat every bite of the kale in my garden. Kale comes in green, purple & white & could give you some color variation as well as a healthy snack. Be prepared for them to demolish whatever you end up putting out there.

Mine nibbled at the nasturtiums I planted for them but mostly tried to dig it up. Silly chickens! If you want to grow stuff specifically for the chickens to eat, you can also try kale or parsley - those are very popular with my birds and grow fairly easily.

I planted some Nasturtiums last year & threw the whole plants in the run in the fall. They had a field day & ate everything except the woody stems. They went crazy for them, just like my snap pea plants.

Back
Top Bottom