Chickens and Pigs Question

Jenny28

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
Chichester, NH
We are getting 4 piglets in about 5 weeks, one for us and raising three for friends. I have heard various things about not mixing chickens and pigs, about how chickens can give pigs TB and then they can not be slaughtered for meat. Etc, Etc. Our chickens are in a coop/run in the back of our house, we are putting the pigs down in the woods in the front of our house about an acre away from each other. My question is, are all these rumours true? Do they need to be kept seperate? It seems odd because when you think of a barnyard you think of chickens and pigs roaming together(kind of lol). Thanks for the help all!

I have been trying to find out if I can infact keep my chickens in with a pet pig (none of my animals will be eaten). I have had mixed feedback. Some say a pig will kill the chickens, but most say it isnt a problem behavioral wise. The man we purchased our chicks from keeps pigs in with his ducks and geese and chickens with no trouble, and many people here have admited to the same, but I really dont know about transmittable diseases, no one had mentioned that to me as a concern. I was more wondering if it was safe for them to co-exist and I have decided to do it based on the feed back I have gotten.
You can search my thread on it if you like. It was called Pig Protector and I put it in the Pedators sections.

We are raising ours for meat, so I don't want to risk it- but I am more concerned about where on our property I place the pigs. If I should put them in a place where the chickens have never been, or if it matters at all. I have heard from a lot of people that if the chickens and pigs are in the same pen then the pigs will kill the chickens, but if they happen to bump into each other once in a while when grazing then they should be fine. A lot of contradicting info out there.
roll.png

Speaking from experience; I have kept my pigs with chickens, horses, sheep and goats. The pigs were always the first in when I called! Never had a problem with diseases at all. They had pasture to roam on and didnt seem to bother each other at all.
OTOH--my uncle had pics in the corner of his coop. If a chicken landed on the edge of the pen the pig ate it pronto! But then again, he didnt take very good care of his critters!
Terri O

I think pig-eating-chickens problems depends a lot on the situation and breeds. For example if pigs are fed enough protein, given a lot of room, and are a docile breed then they aren't as likely to eat chickens (perhaps slower growing is also a factor, as then they won't be so anxious to eat). Also if chickens are more capable of getting out of the way, or less flighty (not sure if pigs have a predator-like drive) they would not be as likely to be eaten by pigs, if they are given room to get away of course. Everytime I've read about keeping chickens and pigs together succesfully, it's always been with pot bellies or docile heritage breeds, namely the Large Black.

Last edited:
I asked my grandfather, whom has raised hogs most of his life and he said it depends on the pig. Some will kill the chickens and others will not, other times they will chase them, but as far as the TB thing goes hes never experienced that happening. He said QUOTE " If you know an animal is sick then dont keep it around anything you plan to eat. "
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom