1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens and snow

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LCwilson, Oct 28, 2009.

1. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    why is it that whenever you walk in your coop with snow on your shoes your chickens all mob you to eat it off and whenever you open up the coop door they all act like what the heck is this stuff. well i dont know if all act like this but most of mine do.

just thought id ask a question

=]

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    A little snow is very interesting and chickens are curious, but a lot of snow on the ground is some what unsettling. Chickens like to see the ground as being darker then the sky. Give them time they will figure it out with time.

3. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    well like i said. some of mine like it(standard girls) and my banties hate it and if want to get out they fly like the dickens over it. i just thought it was weird.

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I had to watch my chickens very carefully last year because it was not unusual to find one stuck in the snow and unable to move.

5. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I've been wondering about that myself. Does everybody just shovel out the run or do you just leave it alone (unless it's over their heads)? Since mine are banties too, I might have to do some shoveling. [​IMG]
    We do have a snowblower, so I might not have to shovel my way to the coop, which is located at the far end of our little acre.
    I do think I'll put a few more roosts in the run though. Just to give them something to perch on during the day.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    What's snow? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

8. Slofr8

Slofr8 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Northern Maine