Chickens and the Garden can I ask the question here?

Mom2Cool

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Ok I was looking to see how people handle the combination of their chickens with their garden & the "behaviors"? I can't seem to keep my chickens out of the areas with garden plants & I've got no produce this year except a few tomatoes & even those the chickens have taken to eating. And are they after the tomatoes themselves or are they eating the bugs on them? And again if this isn't the right place to ask these questions could someone tell me where I should? Thanks

I try to error on the side of caution. With that said, we do NOT let the chickens into the side of the yard with the raised beds. Well, almost never. This last week I've let them in about an hour before the sun goes down to see what they would do. To see if they would be more interested in bugs or my precious tomatoes. So far, they've taken to the bugs. Phew! but I don't know if I'd let them in that side of the yard unattended or with very young tender shoots of any kind.

I'm curious to know what other folks have to say. Especially regarding the tomatoes.

thanks so much. LOL I actuallhave this hurge garden area that my husband has raised beds in & then a small cornered off area where he's got some landscaping trees/a small nursery and then in another cornered off area is my chicken coop.... I had originally done this on purpose because I like that they turn over the dirt for us which they do a great job with & there isn't a bug in site in my yard at all.... BUT they do pull up new plants & I guess we're still sort of new to this aspect of keeping chickens. My original coop that is still in use & in full swing is in the yard but outside the fences in garden. You know picture is worth a thousand words & I should really put on on this thread so you can see. Anyway the chickens are actually in the garden but it's not the hub for all of my chickens, it's really just a couple hens who happen to have a few chicks in there with them. There is also an enclosure off their coop I could keep them in if I had to.

I just checked out your page. Your Austrolorp is so pretty! I love the large breed chickens. We have a few Buff Orpingtons but my heart aches for a Jersey Giant. I think next year we'll see what we can find. Also, Miss Chickie makes a nice 'avatar' or whatever the tiny pic next to your username is called. I don't know how to make my little avatar:(

Maybe I'll work on it today. You should post more pics of your garden and your chicks. I love to see garden and chick pics.

Mine eat everything (they free range in the backyard- luckily we have a fence). My pretty pansies are GONE!
But, I'm lucky, I can plant out front:cool:

We let our chickens run around under our fruit trees and around our raised beds. We have aviary netting around all the raised beds to keep them from eating all of our food. They get all the fruit that drops, so we have to make sure we pick the fruit regularly, but they have really cut down on the coddling moths in the apples. Here's a picture:

34422_imgp3564.jpg

Chickens vs. tomatoes---Chickens always win. Last year I had fall tomatoes in pots but never seemed to have any ripe tomatoes. One day I happened to see the rooster leaping up in the air to peck the almost ripe fruit from the vines. When he was able to get one off he would leave that for the hens and go to work "harvesting" another.
Stinking rooster!!!

Our chickens were eating EVERYTHING in the backyard...raised beds and everything else! We just made a large run for them now, to save my flowers and my hubby's vegies. Now we can all be happy!
cool.png
Boy, I sure don't miss all the poop on the patio either!
lol.png

My chickens figured out how to get to the garden goodies at quite a young age (chain link fence) and they love tomatoes! Almost have to beg them to eat the horn worms
idunno.gif
that I hand pick for them! I like the idea I've seen where the chickens have a fenced in run around the garden but I haven't gotten there yet.

Back
Top Bottom