Chickens and thunderstorms

Hens rule

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2015
US
Hello, as you probably know but if you don't there's a big thunder storm threw out the U.S.:/
Any ways that some thunder storm is where I am and it So lowed and scary. It scares even me so I'm guessing it does scare my chickens.
2 of my chickens Doris And Pockadotts where on my coop sleeping as they normaly do and when it begin to rain and thunder and so on I got them of and put them inside but they are all wet. Most of my other chicks are panting like a dog and seem to be shocked because of the lowed thunder and are breathing heavily. I'm not sure if this is ok or not and will they be ok? :confused:

Thanks for any help.

Chickens may be startled when the first loud clap of thunder happens, and hail will also startle them when it crashes down on their roof. They do need to be sheltered from it so they don't get wet or injured, but they quickly get used to the loudness and it really doesn't cause them much stress at all.

People who greatly fear violent storms have a tendency of projecting these fears onto their chickens. In reality, chickens couldn't care less.

My chicks got surprised yesterday in a down pour, I think I was more concerned about their well being than them. Was up several times during the night checking on them. Everything seemed normal this morning.

Thank you!
My chickens are fine after the storm. I think they where just panting because of how hot it was.

Back
Top Bottom