Chickens and Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PhoenixAngel429, Mar 25, 2011.

1. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    I'm looking to expand my poultry horizons and seeing as I free range my chickens, I wonder if you could do that with turkeys and how well would they interact with the chickens.
  2. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    I think they will be fine free range or locked up. I have them together in a large fenced area and its fine.
  3. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    you run the risk of blackhead and cocciditis(sp?) in a confined area. free range or in a very large pen, you dont have to worry as much.
  4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have had both chickens and turkeys free ranging in the same area. Right now, I am having (well I HAD) a little bitty problem. I have 3 BR turkey hens that are setting on eggs and only 1 that is not. I have 2 BR Turkey Toms. I came home from work 1 day and found the younger Tom Turkey mounting a chicken. I was so upset. [​IMG] Needless to say, he was sold in 48 hours. That is unacceptable at my farm. I felt sorry for him because he usually has 4 hens to mate with but since 3 of them are setting on eggs, his mating list is limited, so that is why he was trying to mate with the chickens. The poor chicken was flattened like a pancake on the ground. I knocked him off of the chicken and he went back for more. Junior is now at another farm where he will be the only Tom and he will have 3 turkey hen girlfriends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by