Chickens appear afraid of new bedding

rcravey

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
Central Texas
My husband cleaned the chicken coop today and put in new bedding. He used the same type of bedding as was in there previously. I just went to check that they all went inside for the night and eight of them (including my rooster) were outside. The other chicks were inside but up on a ledge. None were on the bedding. It took both my husband and myself to get the one's outside back inside. Their coop is very predator proof but we went inside to make sure there wasn't anything in there that was scaring them. Nothing. The only thing we can think of is that they don't like their new bedding. Is this common? Is there anything we can do to make them more comfortable?

You could try cleaning and putting new bedding into the coop in the mornings. That way they have all day to get use to it.
Not sure if this would help, I just put the bedding in a pile and let them scratch it around for me. This way I'm not throwing and moving the bedding.

Thank you. Will definitely do that next time.

My youngest flock is like this. Every single time they act like I've put "death shavings" down when it's the same ole pine shavings. My other flocks don't mind at all. I think it's just one bird that spreads the fear and then they're all freaked out thinking the shavings will kill them. Like another poster mentioned, changing the shavings in the morning or early afternoon makes a difference.

My youngest flock is like this. Every single time they act like I've put "death shavings" down when it's the same ole pine shavings. My other flocks don't mind at all. I think it's just one bird that spreads the fear and then they're all freaked out thinking the shavings will kill them. Like another poster mentioned, changing the shavings in the morning or early afternoon makes a difference.

"Death shavings" LOL. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom