Chickens appear afraid of new bedding

rcravey

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
Central Texas
My husband cleaned the chicken coop today and put in new bedding. He used the same type of bedding as was in there previously. I just went to check that they all went inside for the night and eight of them (including my rooster) were outside. The other chicks were inside but up on a ledge. None were on the bedding. It took both my husband and myself to get the one's outside back inside. Their coop is very predator proof but we went inside to make sure there wasn't anything in there that was scaring them. Nothing. The only thing we can think of is that they don't like their new bedding. Is this common? Is there anything we can do to make them more comfortable?

My youngest flock is like this. Every single time they act like I've put "death shavings" down when it's the same ole pine shavings. My other flocks don't mind at all. I think it's just one bird that spreads the fear and then they're all freaked out thinking the shavings will kill them. Like another poster mentioned, changing the shavings in the morning or early afternoon makes a difference.

My youngest flock is like this. Every single time they act like I've put "death shavings" down when it's the same ole pine shavings. My other flocks don't mind at all. I think it's just one bird that spreads the fear and then they're all freaked out thinking the shavings will kill them. Like another poster mentioned, changing the shavings in the morning or early afternoon makes a difference.

"Death shavings" LOL. Thank you!

Does your coop have a roost and do the chickens normally use it?

Once they're beyond the little chick stage they aren't really supposed to be sleeping down in the bedding. You want them to be up on the roost so that they aren't laying in their poop all night.

I didn't realize this. We have one large roost but it's only large enough for half of the flock. We have 17 chickens. I will definitely add more roosts. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom