Chickens are bleeding - BLOODY/GRAPHIC images BE WARNED

I am going through the same thing this weekend with my RIR's. I have 2 like this they are 23 weeks old. One of mine is worse then the other. The other girls are NOT letting her out of the coop to eat or drink. I just put her in a seperate cage and she drank alot. This bird did have an egg stuck the other day. My neighbor and I with some oil were able to get her to lay the egg.
I have 6 Black Sexlinks the same age and they are fine. Plus the other 4 RIR's are fine too. I just don't know what is going on. I am hoping the seperation will really help.

FYI- Blue Kote is great I have used it on several of my birds. Just be sure to wear old clothes when applying. I used it about 2 month ago on one of my White leghorns as she cut her comb. She still has a purple head, we call her purple eye!

goodness i seen backs get pecked but never the butts.. the sight of blood makes,them freak out.. defiently remove them or your flock will peck them to death

Newbie here, but I'm seeing several posts regarding this issue, which is the same one we've been experiencing. We've done it all to resolve this problem to no avail & have no alternative but to boil it down to raptor mean-ness. We have 6 black sex links & 6 tetras the same age. The tetras are doing it one another (bald, plucked bloody butts) & the sex links are doing it to the tetras. (It started when they all began to lay). Neither is doing it to the sex links which are much bigger than the tetras. We separated them (the temporary coop for the sex links is now called 'Rosemary's Biddies') & they are doing better, (I broke my hand trying to catch one to blue kote it), started bopping the tetras with a piece of foam when they did it to one another but we know we can't integrate them yet. Against our inclinations we also started free ranging them more during their day. They are much less agressive but it's far more dangerous. We blue koted, sulfered, raised protien which was already at a high level, gave them new roosts, had them checked for mites, but they would chase one tetra down at a time & start plucking it with it screaming away. So.....pinless peepers en route. I'd rather not re-home if possible. When I was young, we never had this situation. We didn't have as many predators, they all free ranged, AND (let's face it) by the time they were this size they were in a pot with dumplings. I know my ramblings may not help, but we have taken it very seriously.

ive had this problem, like their saying seperate them, and they will heal up... chickens are rough on eachother when one bleeds their like "OWH shiny!!" and go after it!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom