1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chickens are doing GREAT!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maria Luna, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Maria Luna

Maria Luna In the Brooder

May 30, 2014
    Hi Everyone,
    We've been quite busy with a whole bunch of responsibilities but did want to
    let you all know that the chickens are doing amazing! So happy :)
    I do have a couple of questions ...
    -From my research, some articles state they start laying eggs around six months ...
    so that means that around September - we'll need to start keeping an eye out for
    the treasured eggs :) ~ ~ ~ I'll be changing their food to an organic soy & corn free
    feed next month & I've done my own calcium powder from boiled organic eggs - can I add a
    little to their feed and what other suggestions regarding the food. We've given
    them watermelons, whole grain rice, grapes, bread, etc.., from the list posted in your forum.
    When we do find the eggs, do we refrigerate them, just rinse and eat :) and can we incubate
    them?
    -They mainly roam freely in our little backyard but we try to keep them within their area, as
    we all know - poop, poop everywhere ~ ~ ~ Our dog, Atom is eating their poop :( should we be
    concerned - I won't kiss him any longer - due to poop breath ...lol... and our other dog, Cuddles has
    taken to chewing on their discarded feathers ... and Cuddles is always being chased by the
    chickens as they've taken control of the yard but he gets along with them beautifully unlike
    Atom, he goes after them in a not so nice way ...
    -We also added good sand on the floor of their little house and the hubs built a perch for them
    and they seem to really enjoy that ... we're now thinking about our future treasured eggs and
    the winter ~ ~ ~ I'll probably have winterizing questions in the near future...
    Thanks again for all your support and suggestions!
    I'll post pictures soon!
    Have an amazing beautiful day xoxo
    M.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great to hear!!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you are enjoying your flock! If you keep a rooster, it is possible your eggs are fertile. You would want to wait a couple weeks to make sure your eggs are being fertilized by your roo and then yes, you can incubate them or let a broody incubate them. Otherwise, go ahead and enjoy eating them!

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Sounds like your chickens have a safe home environment thus far .... You might want to go out and spray hose down thee yard just to keet down the fly's and not attract predators and it will also be a bit more hygienic for all involved and the braking down of the poo is good for the soil and you do not want to track it all over ........

Do you have your nesting boxes ready for when your pullets are ready to start producing ????

I get my feed wet by soaking and this cuts down on feed waste then I add the ground up egg shells to the mix ......

Enjoy your poultry [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. ronmauldin

ronmauldin Songster

Jan 25, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Welcome from the Ocean State!

10. Maria Luna

Maria Luna In the Brooder