1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens are dumb

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jul 24, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Outside coop- cold, driving rain, muddy pen
    Inside coop- toasty, dry, fresh litter, full food/water
    Chicken location- of course, outside!!!! [​IMG]

2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Mine do the same thing.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I guess I just have smart chickens.

At the first sprinkle, they are RUNNING into the coop. And it's HOT in there.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG] That's a chicken for ya. Mine are the same way..

-Kim

5. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Yep, Mine too
    Wet bricks with feet.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Mine used to go inside if it so much as sprinkled. Since they've discovered that rain floods the worm burrows and brings them to the surface, they run around with muddy beaks, gobbling down every one they can find.

At least they go in when it rains really hard. [​IMG]

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Have you taught them to go in when it rains? All it took for mine to learn was one instance earlier this year. The weather turned horrible suddenly...we're talking very large hail, lightening, downpour, 50 mph winds horrible...and my chickens were too bewildered by it to move anywhere. I can't blame them, it was difficult for me to stay standing up! I ran out there and grabbed each one and took them to the coop. They stayed in until the storm stopped, and they came out again.Now, whenever the rain is too heavy, they go right in! Frequently, the way to "fix" a dumb animal is to teach it . [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. shaylee

shaylee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Hamilton, Il
    I live in the wind belt and have seen more than one tossed against the fencing. My polish were so stupid that they drowned in 3 inches of water when they were a few months old. Kinda like in the movies where the guy that cant swim is flailing around until someone tells him to stand up and he can actually touch the bottom. Yep....I have homemade waterers now and they cant drown unless they stick their heads into a smaller space and inhale, which wouldnt suprise me with those guys. My other chickens are pretty smart and get inside where it is nice whenever it rains. I do have a couple of worm slurpers though.

I do not think that all chickens are dumb, but either the polish are the exception or we just got a batch that lacked brains. My 6 year old wanted the polish, I prefer meat or eggs, you get neither with them. However, I just bought some OEG creles and love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by