Chickens are eating more than normal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Travis2013, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Travis2013

Travis2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    I've notice for about a week and a half now that my chickens are eating more than normal. I have about gallon and half feeder and that use to last them about 2 1/2 days now I am filling it up every morning. I have one rooster and six hens and only three are laying. What to do.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Are you sure it is your chickens eating the food, not something else ... rodents or wild birds etc? Chickens will eat more when it is cold but if you are seeing that much of a difference in a week, I would look for unwanted visitors. Can you put up a game camera?. Might want to pick up the feed at night until you figure it out and see if that helps also.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You might try making a mash out of your feed. You use less be cause the seeds swell up in the water and it seems to satisfy them. I get a organic seed mix a bit of regular feed with it add warm water and create a mash. They really love it.i set regular seed as well on the side but it's rarely touched. The mash seems more filling and it's worked well with my flock. It's a little extra trouble but it seems to save feed in the end. Hope this helps. Best wishes

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A half a dozen chickens should eat about 50 lb a month in feed.

A lighter weight hen will eat about 1/4 lb of feed per day.

If they eat grass they will eat less feed (free ranging) than if penned. Take all these factors and try to figure your feed consumption - what they should be eating.

My coop with 17 hens in it goes through about 6 lb per day of feed- sometimes a bit less. This is about a horse scoop and a half. Of course the weather is a bit cold now. They will need less in summer also when the forgage is more tempting.

If the feed consumption is way too high then consider rodents. Or squirrels/sparrows.

5. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Well it is winter.

Did you change feeds? Switch from pellet to crumble or vice versa? What other thing might you have changed recently in your chickens' routine?

6. Travis2013

Jan 26, 2014
    No I haven't changed anything with them. But can I feed them cooked vegetables and I also got some old hotdog buns can they eat that.

7. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    It sounds like you have been feeding more than chickens lately. I noticed about a month ago that my chickens were eating more than usual. Soon to find out that mice were entering the coop at night and feasting. I suggest looking for mice droppings or leave out a game camera. If you see signs of mice buy some bobcat urine and pour it around the coop you want have another problem.

8. Travis2013

Jan 26, 2014
    Alright I'll put in a camera but I think it's them eating eat all cause on Monday I feed them in the morning and I came back at 12 and 3/4 of it was gone

9. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    If it is them don't stress over it, spring is almost here. [​IMG] The hens will soon be eating grass, bugs, etc. They won't eat half as much as they are now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by