1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens are eating Styrofoam!!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SweetLilRachy00, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I know chickens have a crop and they will eat gravel and such to help break up their food, but will the styrofoam hurt them? Will it go into the stomach? What about egg production?

Is this dangerous? We are just pretending like it is, until further notice.

HELP!!

(Ps-At least they are well insulated!)

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    lol, just block further access to it and they should be okay. Mine have eaten pieces of sheetrock, glass, and anything else they think might be nifty and they're all still alive and kicking.

Just the other day I had one that decided a string of tarp looked tasty. I had to -gently- pull it out of it's throat.... [​IMG] [​IMG] *sigh*

3. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    [​IMG]

My chickens just did the same thing. They pecked a styrofoam lid we had put up as a secondary barrier. So far they seem to be okay.... I can't wait to see what other people think!

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    with the weather getting colder i put up plastic sheeting over the windows to the coop - used the nice heavy stuff that is clear so light would still get in, anyway while I was out in the run with them I heard them pecking the side of thier coop they were eating the plastic off thier windows [​IMG] so to advoid them getting sick I went ahead pulled the rest off - so now I have to close the shutters to advoid wind blowing in the coop and hopefully it will not get to cold in there for them - I swear they are going to drive me crazy LOL I just bought it and dont you know I got the expensive one because it was thicker - that was money well spent [​IMG]

oh well if they get a little chill in the coop it's thier own fault I tried to be a good mommy

Julie

5. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    i noticed my ripping silicone off of the cracks all around the coop. they've done fine. like a goat.

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Like all good things...... styrofoam too shall pass. That being said they love the stuff but if you dont want them to eat themselfs out of house and home you have to cover it. I would recomend covering with plywood cause they will also peck at tarps, cardboard, and burlap.

7. camille

camille Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Thank you so much for answering this question for me. My father brought me a home made coop completely insulated with foam. They took one look at it and attacked it like the witch's house in Hansel and Gretel. So now they have to sleep in the yard till I figure out how to cover it. Thanks to you, I won't waste my time trying cardboard. Also I won't worry about them keeling over from a clogged gut. Thanks

1 person likes this.
  8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Mine have eaten a lot of that pink insulation stuff for the walls and they are all still alive and well. I got rid of everything I can find but sometimes they come running with more! I have NO clue where they find the stuff. I am ALWAYS picking up stuff everything I see anything tiny on the ground. I think they should be ok. Just get rid of anymore you can find. Good luck!

9. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    When my dh was a kid some of his leghorns ate a sizable chunk of orange closed cell foam from a boat dock float. The only side effect that was noticed was the laying of some very orange eggs [​IMG]

10. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Ours ate all the caulk out of their coop just yesterday. We spent alot of time working on it and keeping them out until it could "cure" [​IMG]

It was kinda like givin' them candy [​IMG] they went after all that "white stuff" LOL................so yep when they have cold little fuzzybutts this winter it isn't that I didn't try!

We are gonna recaulk............just this time DH is gonna caulk and then put a trim board over the caulk [​IMG]

What we won't do for our chooks [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by