Chickens are gone!

^the lock to my coop. As I’ve said, something a raccoon could probably open, though it seems too high up for that. Not sure how a fox could’ve opened it?

I'm so very sorry. That must have been terrible. If you only have one lock, lots of people have gone to having one at the top of the door and another at the bottom, as an extra safety feature. That way if they get the first latch open, they are unlikely to get the second one too. Electric wire is a godsend. Game cameras help and if the coop isn't super far from the house, you can get a baby monitor to hear if they are freaking out. That's what I plan to do with my ducks but any predator is going to have to brave multiple layers of serious security.

I'm so very sorry. That must have been terrible. If you only have one lock, lots of people have gone to having one at the top of the door and another at the bottom, as an extra safety feature. That way if they get the first latch open, they are unlikely to get the second one too. Electric wire is a godsend. Game cameras help and if the coop isn't super far from the house, you can get a baby monitor to hear if they are freaking out. That's what I plan to do with my ducks but any predator is going to have to brave multiple layers of serious security.
Yeah, my door has two locks, both identical, one on the top and bottom of the door. Thank you for the advice!

umm yah.
Unless you have actual padlocks on those. A Coon or a Fox could easily bump and bang and wiggle those open, especially coons, they know how to open hasps, all it takes is a little lift and slide to the right. Doors warp and stuff, they expand and contract with heat, water soaked in etc etc. Sometimes that hasp is only hanging in there by a tiny bit because warping made the two sides misalign. Granted a fox is probably not going to articulate with it's paw but if it pushes on the hasp and slides it or forces the door enough to pop it, the rest is history. It's still strange there are not a lot of feathers and blood, that does NOT make sense. If it is a fox as you said, it can't eat 10 at a time, with an open door, the others have HAD to run away somewhere.

Electricity can work wonders. I won't get into details but there are very good ways to nail predators. My 4160 kitty tickler has dispatched many a pest, rat or otherwise. If you really want to nerd out, tesla coils can be a lot of fun too.

Aaron

umm yah.
Unless you have actual padlocks on those. A Coon or a Fox could easily bump and bang and wiggle those open, especially coons, they know how to open hasps, all it takes is a little lift and slide to the right. Doors warp and stuff, they expand and contract with heat, water soaked in etc etc. Sometimes that hasp is only hanging in there by a tiny bit because warping made the two sides misalign. Granted a fox is probably not going to articulate with it's paw but if it pushes on the hasp and slides it or forces the door enough to pop it, the rest is history. It's still strange there are not a lot of feathers and blood, that does NOT make sense. If it is a fox as you said, it can't eat 10 at a time, with an open door, the others have HAD to run away somewhere.

Electricity can work wonders. I won't get into details but there are very good ways to nail predators. My 4160 kitty tickler has dispatched many a pest, rat or otherwise. If you really want to nerd out, tesla coils can be a lot of fun too.

Aaron
Thanks! That being said, found a fox den in my spare time today when I decided to explore my woods a bit.
image.jpg

I found three of my girls! Doesn’t make sense to me... but It’s a miracle!

Back
Top Bottom