Chickens are gone!

I am sorry about your birds.

I think others that are responding to you could help if you put your location where you are at.

Do you have chicken thief's in your area. Some people take others bird for meat or eggs when no one is around. Would a stranger let your birds pick them up or would they run from them.

Ours run from people even us. They don't want to be touched even when they were chicks. Only time I get a chance to hold one is when they are walking on the top of the run walking around and they fall outward. There is only one way to get them back in and that is corner them in a corner. Then I can get them back in.

Hope you find your girls.

There is only one way to get them back in and that is corner them in a corner. Then I can get them back in.
Have you tried getting them trained on food. When you feed them their snacks, make a unique sound, coo, click your tongue or something and feed, so they relate that sound to the food. Then when you need them, click and they come. I have one that is like that too she does NOT like to be touched, but Ill click they come running, however Ill let her see me throw a bit of seed into the pen or wherever it is I want them to be, cheese works great too, they heard, they came, they seen where the snack is, they ALL run right where I want them, click... door closed chickens in for the day :) Might work in your situation instead of getting angry trying to corner a chicken. NOT an easy task.

Aaron

Thanks. I do give treats out and I do talk to them while I do this. They all know when I come back from town. They know my car sound because they can see me from the end of the run when I get out. I'll try some of my kitty sounds on them. It won't hurt to try.

my chickens are surrounded by coyotes, fox, weasel, predatory birds...etc...but their run is on a slope with trees and an auto door on the coop. my chickens are not free range. they are confined to a 2 acre run...but it’s protected. i don’t “free range” because i don’t want my chickens to get picked off by predators

my chickens are surrounded by coyotes, fox, weasel, predatory birds...etc...but their run is on a slope with trees and an auto door on the coop. my chickens are not free range. they are confined to a 2 acre run...but it’s protected. i don’t “free range” because i don’t want my chickens to get picked off by predators
the only thing i free range is cats. they’re free and they earn their keep ;)

I’ve got some bad news. So some background info- I’ve got 2 chicken coops, one is where I (kept) my silkies, and the other has my bigger hens. The “silkie coop incident” is what this thread was started about, and I thought all was well after I moved the three survivors into the regular chicken coop. Today, I came home and noticed my big ‘ol rooster was a little roughed up and seemingly stressed. Sure enough, something had pulled 10 of those chickens out of the run and taken them. THE SAME SITUATION AS BEFORE!!! Disappeared without a trace! (Besides a few feathers) My game camera didn’t catch a thing! What the heck is going on?!

Humans might be more apt to see camera's and deactivate them. IF it is people, then ocks will work, unil they break the locks, then shot guns to the face may work. Put a sign up saying its booby traped, if they get tabgled u p, well, gethelf hiding the bodies.
Sounds like you had a"human" predator.
I’ve got some bad news. So some background info- I’ve got 2 chicken coops, one is where I (kept) my silkies, and the other has my bigger hens. The “silkie coop incident” is what this thread was started about, and I thought all was well after I moved the three survivors into the regular chicken coop. Today, I came home and noticed my big ‘ol rooster was a little roughed up and seemingly stressed. Sure enough, something had pulled 10 of those chickens out of the run and taken them. THE SAME SITUATION AS BEFORE!!! Disappeared without a trace! (Besides a few feathers) My game camera didn’t catch a thing! What the heck is going on?!
Makes no sense your camera didn't get anything.Where is the camera located?Inside the coop or out?

Can the game camera get the entire run area? If it's a human, they could have erased the camera's too, unless you have those that send the pictures out as soon as they snap them. Also game camera's can be finicky on when they go off or not, are they operating correctly, is the sensitivity set right. See thats the thing if the sensitivity is too high they take a picture every time a hen farts and sends up a dust cloud, not good. If it's not sensitive enough then they are paperweights.

Any foot prints, hoof prints or any sign of something going on? Do you know what tripwires and flash bangs are? If it is a human neighbor it might be time to start going medieval on them. With a 'sounding device' you will know if something comes in the area again and can take appropriate action. If it's a jerk neighbor, then remember the 3 S's

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom