Chickens are gone!

I’ve got some bad news. So some background info- I’ve got 2 chicken coops, one is where I (kept) my silkies, and the other has my bigger hens. The “silkie coop incident” is what this thread was started about, and I thought all was well after I moved the three survivors into the regular chicken coop. Today, I came home and noticed my big ‘ol rooster was a little roughed up and seemingly stressed. Sure enough, something had pulled 10 of those chickens out of the run and taken them. THE SAME SITUATION AS BEFORE!!! Disappeared without a trace! (Besides a few feathers) My game camera didn’t catch a thing! What the heck is going on?!

Gaps in the run fence? Holes under it? Is the run covered?

If nothing is disturbed, looks like a human got in...

One other thing you have to remember, chickens are sneaky little shits. They can and WILL squeeze through the tiniest places. In my coop, where I feed them, is literally a hole large enough to squeeze my hand and probably a one quart bowl in, that is covered with chicken wire that I fold back and forth to 'close it'. All it took was a spot that was I swear to god, about the size of one of those 16 oz red cups you'd use for picnics and she got her head through there and started pushing and wiggling and forcing until she got the fencing down enough to squeeeeeeeze out. Then of course the rest of them seeing her having fun in 'freeland' all followed suit.

Make sure there are no spots where they can squeeze through and then we can work on getting rid of that pesky chicken choker of yours IF... it turns out it's not just a resourceful fowl. The game camera, make sure it works first, set it up and TEST it, don't just click the on button and walk away. Make sure it can get the perimeter of the coop as well. Don't just assume they got / are getting in / out through the front door. If there are any other spots of access it's probably being used.

When did this happen, day, night, you at home, at work? etc.

Aaron

I could see the roosters being killed if they tried to protect the hens being taken.

You would think if it was a four-legged predator, they would take the dead rooster to eat.

You would be surprised at how no one really looks for a camera. I have cameras everywhere. I also have a sign up saying I have cameras. Here is someone stealing my egg money. I don't leave it out anymore and went for years with no issues. It did turn out to be someone we knew.
View attachment 2650695View attachment 2650702
When I had my two legged thief, I thought about putting a mouse trap in the change cookie jar.

Back
Top Bottom