Chickens are laying eggs out of nesting box in the yard.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cindygree, Dec 30, 2015.

1. cindygree

cindygree New Egg

Dec 30, 2015
    We have 4 free range chickens. They eat crumble layers. We were getting 4 eggs a day. We are getting 1 or 2. They are 2 years. We found a pile of 8 eggs in one place. And another pile of 10. This has gone on for 6 to 8 weeks. How do we get them to lay in the nesting box again?

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Try using golf balls or fake eggs in the nesting box

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Two choice - now you know where they are laying, so you can check that space each day. Or you can tear that space open, removing any nest material, and any privacy.

Then clean out the nests where you want them to lay, add fresh bedding and a couple of balls to each. That works for me. When my egg laying decreases dramatically, I start looking for a hidden nest. Chickens are notional, and will do that once in a while.

Mrs K

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Lock em up!!

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers.

Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests.

They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon.

You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    This one issue, along with the occasional need to pen them up to protect from a habitual predator speaks to the need to have a run, even if your flock predominantly free ranges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by