Chickens are like rats

ChickenEmpire

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to keep chickens for many years now but have only recently started taking it seriously. I am in the 'research' and 'fencesitting' stage.

I live within a city suburb, in a house, with a pretty small backyard. Our city allows up to 5 hens per house, no roosters. They have to be housed 40 feet away from other residential buildings and 5 feet from the property line. I believe I have a spot that would *just* about make it.

According to the city, we only have to notify adjacent neighbors (not ask for permission) but it still feels odd to try and phrase my intentions. People here don't really know or talk to each other.

We want to keep chickens for the eggs and for the experience. We have 3 cats, a dog and 4 pet rats already.

In a strange way I am finding out that chickens seem to be a lot like our pet rats. You have to be super careful with quarantining new birds, brush up on proper introductions and hierarchy, familiarize yourself with the different common ailments that plague the animal and know how to treat them since good exotic vet care can be difficult to access, proper ventilation and sanitization is key, socialize early and often, etc.

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting to know more!

Back
Top Bottom