Chickens Are My Pride and Joy: An Ode To My Flock

BantamoftheOpera

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Southern Maine
Chickens are my pride and joy. They make me laugh and the make me cry. Their bold personalities are something to behold. I see myself in each of my very different chickens.
Tizzy is the heart of my flock everybody likes her, but she gets picked on the most for being different with her fuzzy gray beard and muffs. She enjoys her privacy and companionship in equal measurements. She aims to please and will do anything for a dear friend. She is cuddly and compassionate as well as intelligent. It's nice to be doing yard chores and find her on my shoulder or in some cases my head. She never wants more than a scratch on the muff or beard and will stay there for quite a while.
Dina is a diva she is caustic and sarcastic. She loves to be the center of attention and will push her way to the top of the pecking order. Sometimes she lets her anger get the better of her and she takes it out on the other birds. But underneath her pristine coat of feathers lies a heart of gold and natural leadership ability.
Ruby is the worrier of the flock. She likes to blend in with the crowd and will sacrifice her own needs and wants to bend to other's will. She is shy and flighty and not always there to lean on for support. She fears being alone in life and I really can't blame her for that.
On the other hand, quite literally, is Lily. She is gentle and supportive through thick and thin. She is curious and will jump on your lap or arm just to find out more about you. She is a chatter box and loves to gossip and tell you about her riveting day in the run. Her curiosity outweighs her fear in many cases. She loves to sit on laps, but the second you try to hold her back she is back to free ranging with the other girls.
Ginny is the sweetheart of the flock.She's the momma bird who acts more mature than her sisters and tends to lean towards independence much more than her flock mates. She's cuddly and insecure at times but is the soul of the group.
Lastly, Opal is the jealous one. She doesn't like falling into her sister's shadow and will gain attention through force if she doesn't get her way. She is manipulative and bossy on the outside, but on the inside she is as warm and cuddly as the rest of them. She knows what she wants and she gets it through hard work.
My life has been changed by these birds in so many ways. I love them all for who they are. They are a part of my family and my life. They are my babies, my flock, my girls, and my passion. Some people are dog people, some are cat people, but it takes a very special person with a bond to very special chickens to make a flock person.

-Lauren Murphy

It's amazing how rewarding it can be to get really close to your animals no matter what they are. There is such a big communication barrier we only scratch the surface, well, you went a little deeper..
smile.png

ETA I keep forgetting to tell you - your user name is my favorite!

Last edited:
They amaze me everyday! I'm still so in love with them. They're close to a year old now and I've experienced things I never thought I would. I've taken a sick bird in the house and she laid in my lap all afternoon and watched TV with me. One lays her egg on a shelf that we had boarded up, but she still manages to squeeze up there. Another laid her first egg by popping through a ventelation hole we had going from the coop to the adjoined shed. We couldn't find her and when we did we found her first egg on the grill in the shed just waiting to be cooked! They are each so special and I wouldn't trade them for the world
love.gif

Also, I'm glad you like my user name. I might be getting my first bantam soon and I'll be so happy. I feel like a liar without actually having a bantam in my flock... Chicken math shall change that!

Back
Top Bottom