Chickens are roosting in run instead of the coop

LaurieA

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 10, 2013
Tonight I discovered my chickens asleep roosting in the run instead of their coop. I carried each one into the coop (which stays open to their run) but they just ran back out. Its going to be very cold tonight. Will they go in if they are cold? I do not know why they have started doing this.

Thanks!

I tried with some of mine to put them in the coop when it gets real real cold like -10 to -20 below and they still just roost out side some in trees others where ever. Only my old birds go in the coop to roost. So your birds should be alright
smile.png

I had this issue so I took out the roosts they were on and they started going into the best area instead since it is the highest elevation

I was reading that sometimes chickens will stop going in their coop at night if there are mites.... am going to take precautions for that just in case that is the issue.

If its a new coop, chickens will usually not want to go inside. I had some trouble with mine when i first got them. I started putting them inside the coop at night for a few days eventually they started going in. I later introduced a few more birds who liked going inside the coop. Eventually all of them have started roosting inside.

If its not a new coop maybe theres something bothering them, like drafts, predators or smells. Also try making it harder for them to find a perch outside the coop.

Well.. I basically tore the coop apart today... there was no sign of red mites.I did a quick clean (its was freezing out so it was a limited clean). I changed all bedding and spread some DE and Permithin (sp?)

I took the pole that they were roosting on in the run and moved it into the coop at the same level that it was at in the run.

They have nothing to roost on in the run now so hopefully tonight they will go in the coop because it will be cold tonight.

I know that I have had some mutt chickens try to roost outside of their roost but I would just put them on the roost every night. Eventually (about a week) they learned and now the only reason they aren't roosting is because the goats broke it and I haven't fixed it yet.
idunno.gif

Just went out there to see what they were doing. 2 of them (a buff and a guinea) were huddled together on the floor in the dirt o the run. I had to physically put them inside the coupe and shut the door so that they do not have access to the run. I wonder what started this odd behavior. It is very cold out - I don't know why they would want to sleep in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom