Chickens Are Scared To Go Into The Nesting Box

I forgot to add that my cream legbar started laying right after my rooster mated with her. One egg was no shell, the next was soft shell and after that they were hard shell.
I will keep a lookout but not get my hopes too high because if my there is one thing that my chickens are it's stubborn! Do you remember how soon after they mated (how many days) that she layed her 1st egg?

The box is fine but if it's newer to them they're going to be wary of it. I don't force my girls to go in until they're already laying, and I only do it then if they can't seem to figure out where to go.

You said you had a plastic egg in it before and they were playing with it? That's completely normal. Just put it back in the nest. If they keep kicking it out, put it back. That's just the birds exploring the box. I use golf balls and they end up some weird places just before the new layers start laying.

Have you tried shredding a little newspaper in strips and putting a treat inside?
No we thought that if we put food in there they would just think that they could go in there whenever to sleep and bring food into and we don't want that so we just let it be. Do you think taht we should has it helped you?

The box is fine but if it's newer to them they're going to be wary of it. I don't force my girls to go in until they're already laying, and I only do it then if they can't seem to figure out where to go.

You said you had a plastic egg in it before and they were playing with it? That's completely normal. Just put it back in the nest. If they keep kicking it out, put it back. That's just the birds exploring the box. I use golf balls and they end up some weird places just before the new layers start laying.
Thank you! I just wan't sure if they knew what it was and I didn't want to keep on having to put it back over and over again I still can't find one of the eggs that we put in I think that they stepped on it and broke it and then buried it.Should I put something inside of the egg so that it has a similar weight to a real egg? I have seen that recommended but I don't have sand or gravel so I don't know what to put in it or if I have to put anything in it at all. Also should I glue it shut to avoid them breaking it in the future?

I have seen that recommended but I don't have sand or gravel so I don't know what to put in it or if I have to put anything in it at all. Also should I glue it shut to avoid them breaking it in the future?

Main reason to put something in it is to give it enough weight that it doesn't roll away so easily. So anything that has a bit of weight to it should be fine, even a handful of dirt. I'd glue it shut after so they can't get to whatever's inside.

Th
Main reason to put something in it is to give it enough weight that it doesn't roll away so easily. So anything that has a bit of weight to it should be fine, even a handful of dirt. I'd glue it shut after so they can't get to whatever's inside.
Thank you! I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes! If anyone has any other ideas I would be happy to hear those as well! The more answers and options the better because I like to try things out to see what works the best!! Thank you for your help!!

Well when I want my chickens to do something a little food like a piece of apple helps. I have a snap lock hen house with three cubicles and they all like the same one. One time I thought they stopped laying and I found 20 eggs under a bush which was communal. They do like newspaper. They also like the dog house which the dog doesn't use.

Attachments

• 20181123_123611.jpg
    20181123_123611.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom