Chickens are sneaking to the neighbors

Haha very funny. My darn chickens are so spoiled. Even the dogs are good to them. They get treats every day. I throw out boss every morning when I let them out of the coop. Several of them actually respond to their names. When they sneak over I can call the two roosters and one of my Easter egger hens by name and they usually come running back. The others take a bit of coaxing.

so why did the chicken cross the road?

Please do let us know what you find over there. I have wondered for 43 year the answer to my question.

Scott

Can't help but laugh.
1f606.png

How to stop them? A big high fence.

Chickens don't understand property lines or getting along with neighbors. They just go wherever they can. I can just bet your neighbor would prefer them to stay at home; they may be getting a garden ready and there is nothing more discouraging than having a flock of chickens come over and kick everything to pieces, and pluck up any green thing showing its head. Not to mention the byproducts.

Even though it would be nice if they understood where your property was and just stayed there, they are not going to. I know it's a sad thing but if you actually want to keep them at home, you are going to have to put up a fence - either poultry netting that is electrified (Premier sells it, and they also have solar collector chargers) or a big ol' fence.

This is my version of an electric fence for chickens. Once trained to it, mine do not cross it. Keeps chickens in and predators out.

How high is high enough? Does it have to be electric? Can't they just fly over an electric fence?

Home Depot has 72" high galvanized poultry fencing. Also found it on sale at true value and it was pretty cheap.

Thanks so much for your help.

Well, electricity is a psychological barrier. They don't cross it because they've walked up to it and been shocked. You have to set up a training with them to do it, so that they get shocked - put up the fence and then put something tasty *just* on the other side so they have to reach through. That usually does the trick. If they are really determined, most CAN fly over but if they have been shocked once they usually will not.

72" sounds pretty good to me, most would not go over that. If one does, what you can do is catch that one, and trim the feathers on one wing. You want the feathers short but don't cut down into a blood feather. (They are not clear, like a mature feather. They are dark red or just dark on the shaft.) This may have to be repeated when that bird molts.

As far as cost and maintenance, it's hard to say... perhaps someone will chime in? I think I have two chargers now that don't work anymore. Personally, I prefer a fence that is just a plain fence, but it can really depend where you are and your own personal feelings. One thing about electricity! You can bet that no predator is going to try and just bull their way through! It does deter dogs and such really well.

We don't have any predator issues and I would only be doing one portion of the yard where they can cross over to the neighbors. I guess I may have to check with zoning also but I am not sure. If we are not allowed the 72" height what is the lowest height that should still work?

You have no predators?!!
th.gif
Where do you live??!!! No one has dogs? There are no hawks? There are no rats? Raccoons? Foxes? Coyotes? Holy cow. I have to find out where this nirvana is!! We've got every predator in the book!

OK, if you just do one part... well, chickens are pretty smart, really. They are not bird brains.
wink.png
They would simply go around. That said, I've been able to keep chickens behind a 60" fence. Part of it is that they grew up in it, and accepted it as a barrier. Yours are going to be tougher, because they have gotten into the habit of sneaking off for some illicit fun. Maybe... maybe what you could do is, put up your fence, and then catch *all* the chickens and trim wing feathers on all of them. Perhaps by the time they molt they will be resigned to staying home and behaving.
big_smile.png

Nope no predator problems. We are in eastern PA. Dogs must be on leashes and very rarely do we see a stray. We do have squirrels. Maybe an occasional skunk. But really none of the bad guys. Thank goodness.

Going to call zoning today and see if we have any restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom