Chickens ate feed with grain mites

Apr 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I just realized last night that my chicken feed was infested with grain mites. Not sure how long it’s been infested but it was pretty bad when I figured it out, so I’m assuming a while. I cleaned the feeder and opened a new, mite free bag of feed, and so they’re no longer eating the feed with the mites. Should I be worried about the flock health at all, since they were obviously eating the feed and mites? Or are grain mites just pests?

So if they’re 17 weeks old, and not laying yet, it’s dangerous to continue to give them layer feed? I’ve heard that once they are 18 weeks old, laying or not, pullets can be fed layer feed. If they’re just a week shy of that point, would it still be bad for them?

The excess calcium is the problem. When they are not laying they shouldn't be eating layer.

A couple of days won't hurt but most here feed all flock with oyster shell on the side and avoid layer feed entirely. You may want to do the same as even young hens don't lay every day, a dish of oyster shell lets them get extra calcium if they need it vs. forcing them to eat it in their feed.

The excess calcium is the problem. When they are not laying they shouldn't be eating layer.

A couple of days won't hurt but most here feed all flock with oyster shell on the side and avoid layer feed entirely. You may want to do the same as even young hens don't lay every day, a dish of oyster shell lets them get extra calcium if they need it vs. forcing them to eat it in their feed.
X2

Layer feed is something me and many others personally avoid. All pullets don’t need that extra calcium at 18 weeks, most don’t actually. Most chickens start laying closer to 20-24 weeks on average, so if you start them on layer feed that means 2-6 weeks of force feeding them more calcium then is healthy. Layer feed was developed for factory hens, ones that weren’t meant to live past 2 years, so they didn’t care about possible health problems the extra calcium can cause.

I would suggest not using layer feed. If you do use layer feed, you have to switch to a different feed when they molt, you have to switch to a different feed if you have non-laying birds in your flock, you have to switch to a different feed if they are taking a break from laying. Feeding an all flock with oyster shells on the side is a much safer, and easier, option in my humble opinion.

Grain mites feed on grain, not birds so it should be fine.

The reason people only use layer feed for hens that are laying is because it contains extra calcium. Too much calcium damages the kidneys and can cause an early death. If folks have roosters, chicks, or hens that are not laying for whatever reason then all flock feed or game bird feed with oyster shell on the side is a better option.

And a second question:
I’ve read you shouldn’t feed pullets layer feed until they lay or they’re 18 weeks old. Mine are just under 17 weeks old, and the infested feed was the only starter/grower feed we had left. They’re now eating the layer feed because that’s all I have. Is that okay? Just because they’re not the right age yet, I’m wondering

The reason people only use layer feed for hens that are laying is because it contains extra calcium. Too much calcium damages the kidneys and can cause an early death. If folks have roosters, chicks, or hens that are not laying for whatever reason then all flock feed or game bird feed with oyster shell on the side is a better option.
So if they’re 17 weeks old, and not laying yet, it’s dangerous to continue to give them layer feed? I’ve heard that once they are 18 weeks old, laying or not, pullets can be fed layer feed. If they’re just a week shy of that point, would it still be bad for them?

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. When you can get their normal feed. I gave mine some layer feed a couple of days ago because that is all I have and when I went to the store they were out of the grower. I hate changing feed and brands of feed but sometimes it can't be helped because of circumstances. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom