chickens attacked- injured chicken!

chickenjones

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Burleson, TX
We had our first coop invasion last night. It was either a fox, coon or possum- from what we have seen on the game came lately. Anyway whatever it was killed one chicken and injured another before it spooked and ran off. It got the injured chicken's comb and face. I think she will be blind in one eye if she makes it. Her comb was torn up and there is a small gash on the top of her head. My DH came home and helped me clean her up and discard the unfortunate one. We disinfected everything and put some neosporin on her cuts. I just went to check on her and there is fresh blood coming from somewhere because its on the tip of her beak. I have her in a small area - She is on a perch inside a cage we usually use when we have chicks because it took the other chickens about a minute to start chasing after her. I know she is not being pecked (at least by other chickens). I am afraid she is pecking or picking at herself. Maybe a wound we didn't see. I have heard Cayenne Pepper is good for stopping bleeding..would that work? Also would it hurt her to put it on her face? would it burn? I know the antiseptic burned and I just don't want to put her in anymore pain. I don't know if she will make it like I said, but I am afraid if I don't find out where the blood is coming from she won't have a chance. Thanks in advance

Really look her over and find out where more blood might be. It sounds like she is grooming herself, and perhaps re-opening a wound. Check her belly and back. If you find the cut, clean it and put neosporin on it. I wouldn't try pepper, I suspect that burns. There are powders for clotting blood, if the bleeding doesn't stop on its own. (If she can be handled, some gentle pressure from your hand and a clean towel may work.) Keep her isolated and quiet; may want to supplement with some protein (cooked chopped up egg, plain yogurt - nice healthy treats).

Chickens can recover from some pretty horrible injuries. They can be surprisingly resilient...yet so fragile... sigh...

Good luck!

Sounds to me like she is investigating another wound with her beak. Those blood stop powders work like magic, and create a nice seal that let the wound heal. I have heard some old-timers recommend a dusting of flour on an open chicken wound (this was a long standing practice of those who dubbed rooster combs), so flour might work as a blood stop in a pinch. Best of luck with your little chickie! I'm pulling for you.
fl.gif

You stated that there was blood on the tip of her beak. Could it be from an internal injury since her face/eye was injured? Open her mouth an take a look and see if there's blood in her mouth/throat.

dawg53:
I don't know, but it could be coming from her mouth. She seems to be swallowing alot. Does that mean she is done for? I know she tried to rush the door to get out of the cage when I checked on her last time. I don't know if she has eaten or had any water to drink so that concerns me. She wants to go back to the flock but she doesn't get that they will be all over her. I will try to look in her mouth thanks.

ChickenJones

Well my DH and I just checked on the hen again. She is alive so that says something. We doctored her up again and gave her a really good look and found no other wounds. The one on her head is bad enough. The really good thing was when we put her back in the small pen she started eating! I haven't seen her eat all day so I am excited about that. She might not be blind in that one eye either. It was really swollen so maybe that is why she couldn't see. We have antibiotics in her water too so I hope she will be ok.

Thanks for the advice,
ChickenJones

Back
Top Bottom