Chickens "back end" seems to be clogged

animal boy

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2012
My one chickens "business end" is covered in poop. I tried to clean some of it off today (she hated it). I really didn't think much of it but I went out into there run an found my oldest chicken dead
. We thought that she may have over heaten since its been really hot the last few days, but Could this be some kind of disease that I should really be worried about. Since the one chicken is attracting more bugs because of its Probelm. I was thinking its something in the coop and i would move the remaining 3 into a smaller coop for now. Please help ASAP thanks

Last edited:

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
You need to trim the feathers of the one with the droppings, then bathe her bottom if it still needs more cleaning. That way you can get a look at her vent, and make sure everything looks okay. There could be vent gleet or a worm problem, or maybe nothing at all. I have a couple of hens that look that way, so I have to get out the scissors now and then, although they seem to not have any problem. I have read about others having a similar issue--no worms, no vent gleet. Mine just seem to be low in the pecking order.

animal boy

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2012
Woke up this morning and found she appeared to be pooping out her insides
. She has maggots all over her an I think at this point she is just suffering, is there any hope or should I just put her down?

Update: she died today.

Last edited: